Sign in to follow this  
Opagon

in remembrance of her horse

About two weeks ago a very good friend of mine called and asked if I would have time to make some items in remembrance of her horse that she had to put to rest. She had collected all of his mane and tail hair the day before the "appointment" wanted some small shu-flies for the barn folks where he was kept and a couple of tassles for her bridle. I wanted to make something special for her since I know how much her horse meant to her. Its a surprise, so I hope she likes it.

BraidingPhotos_154.jpg

post-5205-1195582280_thumb.jpg

WOW, that is beautiful! I'm sure she will appreciate it.

I see a "tissue moment" in the making here. My wife will need one when I just show her the picture and the story. That is a great idea, a great job on it, and I am sure your friend will cherish it for a long time.

Very nice work. This will most likely become a family hierloom in the years to come.

Ken

Opagon

That's some very nice braid and knot work. I really like the cross great idea. Mike

That's a grear looking cross, and I envy all who can do braiding like that. Very cool idea...

Here's another idea for someone who wants something special to remember their horse by (as tho they need anything...)

img_7903_180x120.jpg

post-4803-1195681713_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rayban

Opagon - The cross is beautiful. I am sure your friend will cherish it.

Rayban,

I've tried the covered horseshoe once. I screwed it up. I thought I gave myself enough room for the stretching but about 1/2 way around and the other side was way off. I have a couple of shoes to play with. What does your original pattern prior to molding look like? Mine was like a fat 'U'.

Mike

Mike...to answer your question (don't mean to highjack this thread) I get pretty generous with the 4/5oz. I use for the top surface (8/9oz. for the btm.), so yes, it looks like a big fat "U". I spray paint the shoe before I wet-mold it, else it may rust through the 4/5oz...it's happened to me already and you don't see it happening till you're almost finished with the project....after the wet-molding has dried, you can see that you have plenty leather around the shoe to trim off after your done stitching. Hope this helps.