Tequila

Wet Molding Vachetta Leather

I’ve got a mold that I’ll be using and plan on using 2-3 ounce leather precut panels.  I’m looking at some panels here on Buckleguy   Has anyone tried using Vachetta leather in a wet mold?  If so was it able to hold it’s shape?

thanks

7 hours ago, Tequila said:

I’ve got a mold that I’ll be using and plan on using 2-3 ounce leather precut panels.  I’m looking at some panels here on Buckleguy   Has anyone tried using Vachetta leather in a wet mold?  If so was it able to hold it’s shape?

thanks

From their website, veg tan:

Valdibrana Conceria, Tarano Italian Vachetta Leather Panels

Our 'Valdibrana' Italian Vachetta leather is an Italian vegetable tanned leather from one of premier Tuscan veg tanneries. The 'Tarano' leather is our line of bovine (cow) veg tan Vachetta leather.

those leather panels are "finished" and as such, probably wont do what you want them to do.

you would be better off with unfinished, natural veg tan, do your wet molding and dye & finish yourself

I wrote to Buckle Guy and this was the answer that they sent:

Thanks for reaching out. The leather itself would be great for wet molding, but that would be a pretty thin weight. We would recommend either going with a thicker option, or at the least, adding a second layer of that leather. 

I’m leaning with @Heartless (at least for the first couple) since it’s a new mold and I want to take some of the variables out.

@Tequila All my  VT leather  comes from Italy , good stuff too :yes: . I use  VT Tarino butts, shoulders and sides of varying thicknesses, it moulds, stamps and carves well too.  . Theres a supplier in Perth here in Oz . 

HS

On 8/21/2023 at 9:43 PM, Handstitched said:

@Tequila All my  VT leather  comes from Italy , good stuff too :yes: . I use  VT Tarino butts, shoulders and sides of varying thicknesses, it moulds, stamps and carves well too.  . Theres a supplier in Perth here in Oz . 

HS

Thanks, for what I’m doing getting a dyed through high end leather would greatly improve it’s appeal. 

23 hours ago, Tequila said:

Thanks, for what I’m doing getting a dyed through high end leather would greatly improve it’s appeal. 

yeh man, I think the Italians are a bit fussy about their leather    :) There are suppliers/tanners here in Oz. So, out of curiosity  I ordered some leather off ebay au . An Australian supplier.....it was crap .  Drank dye like a sponge soaks up water. Never again:no: I'll stick with my regular supplier. 

HS