c2369zulu

Axe sheath (for Vorn Banahogg)

A friend on a FaceBook group page I frequent  sent me a tracing of an axe he has that needed a sheath. He said the factory sheath did not cover the spike of the axe. I told him it was risky to make it just based on a pattern. We are talking about a secondary market $1k to $2k custom axe though, so I understand not wanting to lose the axe in shipping. Anyway, it came out ok other than the snap setter anvil moving on me and causing an impression at the snap on the retaining flap. Should have got out my hand press. Doh! Hope it fits the actual axe. Veg tanned, Fiebings light brown oil dye, Ritza tiger thread in Havana color, line 24 snaps.

IMG_5502.jpeg

IMG_5504.jpeg

IMG_5503.jpeg

IMG_5505.jpeg

8 minutes ago, c2369zulu said:

A friend on a FaceBook group page I frequent  sent me a tracing of an axe he has that needed a sheath. He said the factory sheath did not cover the spike of the axe. I told him it was risky to make it just based on a pattern. We are talking about a secondary market $1k to $2k custom axe though, so I understand not wanting to lose the axe in shipping. Anyway, it came out ok other than the snap setter anvil moving on me and causing an impression at the snap on the retaining flap. Should have got out my hand press. Doh! Hope it fits the actual axe. Veg tanned, Fiebings light brown oil dye, Ritza tiger thread in Havana color, line 24 snaps.

IMG_5502.jpeg

IMG_5504.jpeg

IMG_5503.jpeg

IMG_5505.jpeg

The dye job looks great! Super even!

The snap would be very frustrating to me. I hate getting to the end of project and something stupid causes a flaw! 

Your stitching looks really good. I'm not a fan personally of the larger round holes but everybody has their methods. Great work!!

It looks great!! 

how did you figure the thickness of the axe? 

2 hours ago, ArkieNewbie said:

The dye job looks great! Super even!

The snap would be very frustrating to me. I hate getting to the end of project and something stupid causes a flaw! 

Your stitching looks really good. I'm not a fan personally of the larger round holes but everybody has their methods. Great work!!

Thank you! I have gotten to where I don’t mind the larger holes anymore. Makes it so much easier to stitch without pliers. Plus I generally drill out the holes on thicker items like this, but my small dremel bit sometimes flexes and ruins the piece, coming out the side. 

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

It looks great!! 

how did you figure the thickness of the axe? 

Thank you! I had him send me photos looking down the blade from head to butt. Appeared to be about 1/4” I think. I did double welt thickness……

Edited by c2369zulu

Good job,I like it. I started drilling my stitching holes and now use an .8 mm punch chucked in my drill press.

I like the results. Makes for much more enjoyable stitching and cleaner looking results.

Very nice! It's a shame about the snap. I originally used a 4 penny nail in a drill press that I file to a point. Just about the perfect size for larger thread.

13 hours ago, Deanr said:

Good job,I like it. I started drilling my stitching holes and now use an .8 mm punch chucked in my drill press.

I like the results. Makes for much more enjoyable stitching and cleaner looking results.

Thank you! Good idea with the chucked punch! I like using my traditional leatherwork tools, and still use my Weaver stitching chisel set a lot, but shamefully these holes were laser cut at .065" diameter. Saves me a lot of headache. I still drill holes as well from time to time, but the drill bits tear the leather sometimes and leaves nasty little fragments....

9 hours ago, Hags said:

Very nice! It's a shame about the snap. I originally used a 4 penny nail in a drill press that I file to a point. Just about the perfect size for larger thread.

Yeah, I was too far along to redo the whole thing. I sent photos to the guy and pointed it out. He was fine with it. That nail idea sounds like a winner!

Yeah, the nail worked great, didn't cut as much as pierce like an awl.

Edited by Hags