Cumberland Highpower

Champion stitcher hook/awls?

Who is stocking champion hooks/awls these days?

I'm thinking to buy some  spares and not real sure where to look.  I had purchased some various hooks/awls from Toledo Sewing Machine last year for my Landis machines and Randalls, although if I remember correctly, he told me he's clearing out on that type of item.

Anywhere good to look?   

9 hours ago, Cumberland Highpower said:

Who is stocking champion hooks/awls these days?

I'm thinking to buy some  spares and not real sure where to look.  I had purchased some various hooks/awls from Toledo Sewing Machine last year for my Landis machines and Randalls, although if I remember correctly, he told me he's clearing out on that type of item.

Anywhere good to look?   

I still have some #2,3,31/2 & 4 needles.alot of people keep the old needle if they break the hook off & reuse it for an awl (with minor sharpening)

3 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

I still have some #2,3,31/2 & 4 needles.alot of people keep the old needle if they break the hook off & reuse it for an awl (with minor sharpening)

I held onto a few of my Union Lockstitch barbed needles after selling the machine. I use them in a stitching awl handle when I need to hand sew something with thick thread and don't want to use 2 needles to saddle stitch. I just hold down the bottom thread and form loops as I poke the needle through the leather. Are Union Lockstitch needles and awls the same length as the ones for the Champion that the OP needs?

On 9/2/2023 at 10:39 AM, Wizcrafts said:

I held onto a few of my Union Lockstitch barbed needles after selling the machine. I use them in a stitching awl handle when I need to hand sew something with thick thread and don't want to use 2 needles to saddle stitch. I just hold down the bottom thread and form loops as I poke the needle through the leather. Are Union Lockstitch needles and awls the same length as the ones for the Champion that the OP needs?

I'll have to try the trick with a UL hook.  Have used speedy stitchers allot over the years, might be a great alternative.   I never liked a 2 needle stich.  Looks good but too slow?

Edited by Cumberland Highpower

On 9/2/2023 at 10:39 AM, Wizcrafts said:

The hooks are similar length. Champion shoulders are turned down a little lower.  UL hooks will push the shoulder into the work.

3 hours ago, Cumberland Highpower said:

The hooks are similar length. Champion shoulders are turned down a little lower.  UL hooks will push the shoulder into the work.

I measured my ULS needles (hooks) and awls. The needles are 2.5" and the awls are 2 3/8" long. The older needles have longer shanks than the newer ones.

On 9/2/2023 at 7:04 AM, CowboyBob said:

Any chance you might still have some #5 and 6?   I run allot of 277 and 4 cord.

6 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

I measured my ULS needles (hooks) and awls. The needles are 2.5" and the awls are 2 3/8" long. The older needles have longer shanks than the newer ones.

Hmm, that's interesting.   Might make them Champion compatible in that case.   I wonder why they'd begin to turn them down lower?  On a UL that would remove some stiffness.  Not really a good thing for a machine that hook feeds.  I wonder if it was one of those "lets reduce part numbers we stock" strategies?   I have to confess I've not bought UL hooks "new" for a long time.  last UL I bought came with hundreds of hooks and some awls, I'd say stock from the 70's and 80's from the looks of it.

Edited by Cumberland Highpower

I have a bunch of Champion awls, but no hooks. Send me a PM if you’re interested in the whole lot ($100, 30ish packs of 12 awls ea.) Not interested in selling individual awls or packets, sorry!

IMG_1491.jpeg

IMG_1492.jpeg

Edited by Uwe

2 hours ago, Uwe said:

I have a bunch of Champion awls, but no hooks. Send me a PM if you’re interested in the whole lot ($100, 30ish packs of 12 awls ea.) Not interested in selling individual awls or packets, sorry!

IMG_1491.jpeg

IMG_1492.jpeg

Thanks for the reply UWE.    I noticed these awls are labeled for the Champion Straight Needle.  That would be a boot stitcher. (Like a Champion 50 or American Straight Needle).   The awls have a stubbier profile with heavier shoulder than I'm used to seeing, and cut to a diamond shape like awls designed for punching sole bends.  I don't know if they're compatible with the Champions Im using?   I have a Peerless 30 and Harness Stitchers.  The Peerless 30 is also a boot stitcher, but I feel like maybe the hooks and awls may be different from the Straight needle?  I don't know as I've never owned or use a Champion Straight Needle?

Would anyone have some info if they'd be compatible?

This hooks and awls business would surely benefit from a proper naming convention, like needle system numbering. I’ve never worked with a Champion stitcher, so know little about them, sorry!