jrny4wrd

Ring vs. steel rule bender

If I wanted to start making my own steel rule dies, can I use a ring bender? Anybody know the differences? I have not personally seen either one. Maybe one is wider than the other? 

I bought all my stuff in the 90's when the  big move west and south.  Things are different now there is a proliferation of off shore equip. now available.  Here''s what you need.  Helmond or clone bender with dies.  Die stock 2 point and 3  point preferable .937 in height.  A saw preferentially a band saw anything to cut shapes. A MIG welder.  A hole punch that will cut die stock to screw to wood stock.  I use 3/4" wood flooring. This works well because 1/4" rejection foam works well with this combination.  You can buy online a box of small shapes that is .937.

Now""class" read all you can, "steel rule die" on you tube.  Harry Rogers has a good video on a cheap bender. Many videos on technique. AmeriKen is good source for materials.

With many mechanical clicker hand operated machines available get one that rotates.  You can position the die on the leather better.

Now clickers.  Schwabe is a beast not much on adjustment.  Fipii 20 or various versions.  Good choice because it reads height and pressure can be adjusted.  If you buy  factory machine you will have to deal with a phase converter.  If you buy a euro. machine you will have to deal with euro wiring.

Finally the bad.  You need real computer and marketing skills.

8 hours ago, jrny4wrd said:

If I wanted to start making my own steel rule dies, can I use a ring bender? Anybody know the differences? I have not personally seen either one. Maybe one is wider than the other? 

Check out this thread.

15 hours ago, ljk said:

Finally the bad.  You need real computer and marketing skills.

Not entirely.  If you're speaking as die making as a business,  I know of a couple Yoder owned die shops that do business with outhouse phones and first class stamps. One in particular is pretty successful.

I don't think the OP mentioned any business aspirations though, he just said "make his own dies."