Chux

Appointment books

I made a few appointment books for a new tattoo studio( full disclosure, two of the three co-owners are my daughters) made tattoo machines that slip on the pencils, just because that was the "vision" I had in my head when I thought of it. I'm not a huge fan of doing multiples, simply because I feel lucky if I can get one thing to look good, let alone more than one to be identical. New shop will of course have new keys so made each of them a keychain as well. To be honest the whole thing made me think about lazer engraving. I kind of don't feel like it's "cheating" anymore just a different tool. If it ever comes down to being able to get one, I might just remake them so that I feel that they are good and not just good enough. Thanks for looking 

20230702_102059.jpg

Those all look great! The key chain is a nice additional touch. I particularly like the 'VA' logo you have on them. What happens if you take on more artists? Laser engraving is a good tool for this kind of thing. With a one of those, you could simply make them as needed, all identical. You could also make other items with the design on it. That said, I like the variations one gets with handwork. It really personalizes the work.

Thank you. I can't take any credit for the design though it's their artwork I just tried to copy it so it looked good. You see variations I see mistakes,lol, but I'll try and see it from your point for now on. Variations are a way better way of looking it things. Thank you for pointing that out, I feel kind of stupid for not seeing it that way myself...

1 hour ago, Chux said:

I made a few appointment books for a new tattoo studio( full disclosure, two of the three co-owners are my daughters) made tattoo machines that slip on the pencils, just because that was the "vision" I had in my head when I thought of it. I'm not a huge fan of doing multiples, simply because I feel lucky if I can get one thing to look good, let alone more than one to be identical. New shop will of course have new keys so made each of them a keychain as well. To be honest the whole thing made me think about lazer engraving. I kind of don't feel like it's "cheating" anymore just a different tool. If it ever comes down to being able to get one, I might just remake them so that I feel that they are good and not just good enough. Thanks for looking 

20230702_102059.jpg

These look great!! I have three lasers and I love them! I make leather patch hats and engrave various other projects as requested by customers. 

I just made 9 notebook covers and the laser certainly came in handy! I have a file made to cut out all of the parts and it gives me the ability to place the artwork exactly where it needs to be so it is in the exact same spot on each one. Repeatability is a great thing!!

Thanks. Making these certainly opened my eyes to how an engraver would be useful! Can I ask WHY you have THREE?? The thought of getting one gives me anxiety lol. 

I like them a lot! I want a laser as well, and will get one. But, it has been pointed out to me that small imperfections are the mark of hand made.

Thank you. Its something that I'm leaning more towards, but affording it...well that's gonna take some doing so it'll probably be a while. If only I could see "small imperfections" lol

20 hours ago, Chux said:

Thanks. Making these certainly opened my eyes to how an engraver would be useful! Can I ask WHY you have THREE?? The thought of getting one gives me anxiety lol. 

Hahaha! I make a lot of leather patch hats and I do some engraving on wood too. I guess I should say that I have two that are setup that I use. The third is sitting on a table in the corner of my garage just begging to be calibrated and put to work haha.