paintpony7417

Dyeing tooled leather

Hello again!

Another question, about tooling. I think I've mentioned before, but I'm mainly interested in making leather horse tack. I've seen tons of examples of tooled tack where just the background is dyed/oiled dark and the tooling itself remains a lighter oiled color if that makes sense? How are people able to accomplish that? 

Thanks!

Probably your asking about antiquing.

this is from a current post by another member.

IMG_1339.jpeg

Dye the background with dye and a brush. Some people are handy enough to use a syringe and small needle, some use refillable dye pens. Not really a new thing but some makers dye the sides and background, basically everything but what is tooled. Lots of stuff out there like that now. Google JD Filho, Joey Jemison, Travis Stillson for some good examples of that. There are a ton more but those folks will get a start for examples. 

7 hours ago, paintpony7417 said:

Thank you.

What was the thread called?

Texas Sidekick. It’s my project. 

To get the contrast on that belt slide, I tooled the leather, let it dry completely, coated the whole thing with tan kote, let it dry completely, then used brown antique paste. I use an ample amount and make sure the paste gets worked into all the groove/tooled areas, then use a clean paper towel and wipe the excess off the top or, un-tooled areas. Let it dry completely, and then a final coat of tan kote over the whole project again. 

After tooling, I usually apply a resist like beeswax or a clear acrylic finish to the areas I want to keep lighter. Then, I'll dye the background. Once dried, I wipe off any excess dye and then oil the entire piece to give it that finished look. 

Just be careful not to use too much resist, or the dye won't take at all in those areas. Practice on scrap leather first to get the hang of it.

15 hours ago, paintpony7417 said:

Hello again!

Another question, about tooling. I think I've mentioned before, but I'm mainly interested in making leather horse tack. I've seen tons of examples of tooled tack where just the background is dyed/oiled dark and the tooling itself remains a lighter oiled color if that makes sense? How are people able to accomplish that? 

Thanks!

What Bruce said but you will want to put a sealer on the areas you don't want to dye dark so mistakes don't happen.

Send a picture to show us what you are seeing,  you might be looking at vegtan latigo