arich

Messy stitches on cobbler only when stitching to the right

I’m just getting going with an Adler 30-1 that I picked up a while back.

I’m noticing that the stitches look a little messy when pointing the foot to the right. All other directions are even and there’s no mess of stitches on the underside of scrap. (I’m using thinner thread in the bobbin) 

Is there something I can adjust? 

*Also can anyone recommend what oil is best for this machine?
- My white diamond universal oil seems like it might be too thin (lots of leaking) maybe this is normal? 

BB85EA05-DCD7-4093-949C-AA4D6BE1FEC0.jpeg

Still looking for a solution! 
@Wizcrafts do you have any wise words on this topic? 

I had dipped the foot in plastic dip to keep the foot when gouging the leather, I have now removed the plastic dip and notice less messy stitching when stitching to the right however I do notice my stitch length gets shorter when stitching to the right.

Are there adjustments that can be made to fix this issue? 

*Also I do need the plastic dip (or another solution) on the foot to keep my leather from getting chewed as I’ll be sewing painted leather on to shoes. 

Thank you! 

I am pretty sure that it is just the way the patchers work.

I get the same result with my Singer patchers, and also only when I point the foot to the right. It looks just like your test piece does where the thread sort of jumps from one side to the other for each other stitch. 

My best advice would be to try to plan your stitching so that sewing in that direction is done as little as possible, That is how I try to deal with the same issue. 

Brgds

Jonas

I am not familiar with your machine but it looks like the knots are showing on top when the stitches become irregular.  Would help to describe the weight of leather and needle and thread you're using.  Changing the needle can affect the top tension.  I don't understand the problem with your presser feet.  If they have teeth then grinding and polishing the feet is an option.

Edited by TomE

3 hours ago, TomE said:

I don't understand the problem with your presser feet.  If they have teeth then grinding and polishing the feet is an option.

Patchers use the presser foot to advance the leather for each stitch.  Smooth foot, no or little advance.  Top feed, no bottom feed.

When you move the leather to the right of the machine it has more friction as it tries to move over the throat plate and arm. There is also the push button on the throat plate that can get in the way. May I suggest that you remove the throat plate and get is buffed to a high polish? I did that on my Adler 30-7 and it helped a little.

10 hours ago, Northmount said:

Patchers use the presser foot to advance the leather for each stitch.  Smooth foot, no or little advance.  Top feed, no bottom feed.

Thanks for the info.  I appreciate learning from this forum.

Thank you for your help! I buffed the plate and when doing so I noticed the screw holding it down was very loose. Tightened that up, buffed the plate, messed with the tension a bit and redipped the foot in plastic dip and it seems to be much better -not perfect but usable.

Edited by arich