msdeluca

uh oh... Did I need another walking foot sewing machine?

Yes, of course, is the answer.  

Ya know, I was just minding my own business and, out of nowhere, a juicy little morsel of a walking foot made itself known.

Just a short seven hour round trip later, it sits in my basement in need of a table... ordered a new one... so I'm just looking at it for now.

Consew 206RB-5 ... and a 550-1 Consew servo-motor ... I was told that it is five years old and only driven to church every Sunday by a nice older lady.

The foot it came with is smooth, but the feed dog and plate are serrated.  I was thinking of filling the grooves with J-B weld to make them smooth and not change their their dimensions for feeding purposes.  I could also make a new plate, but the feed dog is more of a challenge.  I could braze some metal onto the dog and file it flush with the teeth, but not sure which metal would be best.

Any suggestions...?

IMG_6789.jpeg.be2845592c8d83df2018c18affe96795.jpeg

Edited by msdeluca

Great find and really nice looking CJ too!  Since the RB-5 is still being made, couldn't you just buy a new feed dog and plate?  It sure would be easier, and I'm one for doing everything myself.

By the way, I'm giving you a Jeep wave, I've got an '84 CJ that will be getting new seat covers soon as my first real sewing project!

1 hour ago, fibersport said:

Great find and really nice looking CJ too!  Since the RB-5 is still being made, couldn't you just buy a new feed dog and plate?  It sure would be easier, and I'm one for doing everything myself.

I think I read Wizcraft saying that no one makes a smooth set.  I also did a search and found nothing.

1 hour ago, fibersport said:

By the way, I'm giving you a Jeep wave, I've got an '84 CJ that will be getting new seat covers soon as my first real sewing project!

Thanks... yeah, the wide track and longer wheelbase in the '82-'86 is the best.  I've got a blog on it here:  

1986 CJ7 Restoration Project

Mike

ps... I made a Sunbrella top for it on my Cowboy3200.  One of the reasons I've been looking for a machine made for lighter thread.

That machine looks to be in great condition! As for the feed dog and plate, I reckon filling with JB-Weld would be the simplest way.

6 hours ago, dikman said:

That machine looks to be in great condition! As for the feed dog and plate, I reckon filling with JB-Weld would be the simplest way.

Okay... thanks.  I figure to get a spare plate and dog and fill them.

Smooth bottom walking foot sets are readily available for that machine for 30 -40 bucks. The throat plate serrates aren't deep enough to leave marks, and I have no problem with feed dog marks either. If your feed dog is still sharp on the edges, just smooth the sharp parts off and try it before bothering to grind it away, as you can't put it back on. Btw I am running a 206 RB 3 with moderate presser foot pressure.

49 minutes ago, Gump said:

Smooth bottom walking foot sets are readily available for that machine for 30 -40 bucks. The throat plate serrates aren't deep enough to leave marks, and I have no problem with feed dog marks either. If your feed dog is still sharp on the edges, just smooth the sharp parts off and try it before bothering to grind it away, as you can't put it back on. Btw I am running a 206 RB 3 with moderate presser foot pressure.

I've not found any of the smooth plate/dog sets.  Do you have a link?

I was reading some comments on this forum lamenting the fact that they are not available and that modifying the surfaces change the mating positions, thereby altering the regulation of the needle, for example, reversing into the same holes.  My CB3200 does have smooth dogs and plate.  I just assumed that the smooth plate and dogs would be readily available for the 206RB-5.  Again, if you've got links, I'd appreciate them.

This machine is new to me and I haven't received my table order to be able to use it.  

Thanks for the input.

Mike

Techsew has narrow and regular width foot sets for $30cdn. Stateside - Cutex sewing supplies has pretty much all available feet for 111 singer which all fit Consew 206.

44 minutes ago, Gump said:

Techsew has narrow and regular width foot sets for $30cdn. Stateside - Cutex sewing supplies has pretty much all available feet for 111 singer which all fit Consew 206.

Thanks... I'll check their site!

51 minutes ago, Gump said:

Checked both sites and didn't see and smooth plates or smooth feed dogs.  Do you have a link?  I'm not looking for narrow, I'm looking for smooth.

7 hours ago, msdeluca said:

Checked both sites and didn't see and smooth plates or smooth feed dogs.  Do you have a link?  I'm not looking for narrow, I'm looking for smooth.

https://www.cutexsewingsupplies.com/products/heavy-duty-presser-foot-set-for-consew-206rb-singer-111w-221w-sewing-machine?variant=32221891362869

Looks smooth I think

8 minutes ago, Burkhardt said:

LOL... I'm looking for a smooth throat (needle) plate and feed dog set... not presser feet.  I agree that there are a lot of smooth presser feet out there.

Thanks for responding though.

Mike

2 minutes ago, msdeluca said:

LOL... I'm looking for a smooth throat (needle) plate and feed dog set... not presser feet.  I agree that there are a lot of smooth presser feet out there.

Thanks for responding though.

Mike

Smooth bottom walking foot that @Gump wrote as I did a read by and what I looked for. Should have payed closer attention but I'm not to good at that.

Guess I misunderstood also. But to reiterate, the throat plate and feed dog are not a problem as far as marking the leather. I have yet to have any noticeable marks on my work.

1 hour ago, Gump said:

Guess I misunderstood also. But to reiterate, the throat plate and feed dog are not a problem as far as marking the leather. I have yet to have any noticeable marks on my work.

No worries.  I appreciate your willingness to help.  I'm gong to try the serrated feed dog/plate when my table arrives and I can get it the machine set up, but I also ordered a new serrated plate and dog to experiment on.  It will be interesting to see the difference and whether the J-B weld works.

Mike