jrny4wrd

Shelves for storage

I want to build some shelving for leather rolls. Is it ok to use treated wooden shelving, or will chemicals cause a reaction? 
Is wood or metal preferred? 

I would not use treated wood for the shelves. Maybe MDF board, or plastic board, melamine laminated shelving boards

4 hours ago, jrny4wrd said:

I want to build some shelving for leather rolls. Is it ok to use treated wooden shelving, or will chemicals cause a reaction? 
Is wood or metal preferred? 

If I can . . . let me toss a suggestion . . . 

Hang your leather.

All of mine is hanging on a finishing nail thru one hole punched in the most unuseable spot I could find in that piece . . . really near the edge.

I have it all in a 4 x 8 ft box . . . 1 ft deep . . . with a 4 x 8 door . . . allowing me to get in.  

I bring a double shoulder or a side home . . . punch it and hang it as soon as the one it is replacing gets used up.

They straighten out in a couple days . . . and are so much easier to use than those I used to keep rolled up.

You can see the 1 x 4's with nails in them . . . they swing out so I can access the panel behind it.  These were taken shortly after I made the vault.  Picture 1 shows the door, 3 shows the bars they hang on, 4 shows the swinging arms, 5 shows an assortment I have there, and 8 shows some "stuff" stored on the bottom of the vault.  8 also shows that the vault is basically a 2 x 12 box with a 4 x 8 OSB panel on the front and one on the back.

It is much more full today . . .  as these pictures were made right after I first put it into operation.

May God bless,

Dwight

leather vault 1.JPG

leather vault 3.JPG

leather vault 4.JPG

leather vault 5.JPG

leather vault 8.JPG

Edited by Dwight

@Dwight Really nice set up !!!!

Here's how I did it 15 years ago and my wife does now. The 4 foot long Gorilla racks hold the Sonotubes perfectly. Chap and latigo are sorted by color and type so they don't bleed on each other. lighter weight Vegtan same thing. I was pretty busy then and I went through 5 side or 10 side skirting sides fast enough they never marked from light exposure. They were just rolled loosely and secured with a bungee. One of these 6 foot high shelving units can hold a lot of rolled leather with easy access. Ignore the open wiring in the background. This was during a shop upgrade and the electrician was replacing the DIY job the previous owners had done. IMG_0003.jpgIMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

8 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

Here's how I did it 15 years ago and my wife does now. The 4 foot long Gorilla racks hold the Sonotubes perfectly. Chap and latigo are sorted by color and type so they don't bleed on each other. lighter weight Vegtan same thing. I was pretty busy then and I went through 5 side or 10 side skirting sides fast enough they never marked from light exposure. They were just rolled loosely and secured with a bungee. One of these 6 foot high shelving units can hold a lot of rolled leather with easy access. Ignore the open wiring in the background. This was during a shop upgrade and the electrician was replacing the DIY job the previous owners had done. IMG_0003.jpgIMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

Thanks. I was/am considering these cardboard tubes but was also worried about chemicals from them. Just moved and had not yet gone completely leather-working dependent so my leather isn’t moving as fast as it was when it’s all I did. 
decided to start different leather projects, rather than customs. Customs were starting to bore me so it’s a complete over-hual. 
Have you ever had any sorts of problems with the board tubes? 

10 hours ago, Dwight said:

If I can . . . let me toss a suggestion . . . 

Hang your leather.

All of mine is hanging on a finishing nail thru one hole punched in the most unuseable spot I could find in that piece . . . really near the edge.

I have it all in a 4 x 8 ft box . . . 1 ft deep . . . with a 4 x 8 door . . . allowing me to get in.  

I bring a double shoulder or a side home . . . punch it and hang it as soon as the one it is replacing gets used up.

They straighten out in a couple days . . . and are so much easier to use than those I used to keep rolled up.

You can see the 1 x 4's with nails in them . . . they swing out so I can access the panel behind it.  These were taken shortly after I made the vault.  Picture 1 shows the door, 3 shows the bars they hang on, 4 shows the swinging arms, 5 shows an assortment I have there, and 8 shows some "stuff" stored on the bottom of the vault.  8 also shows that the vault is basically a 2 x 12 box with a 4 x 8 OSB panel on the front and one on the back.

It is much more full today . . .  as these pictures were made right after I first put it into operation.

May God bless,

Dwight

leather vault 1.JPG

leather vault 3.JPG

leather vault 4.JPG

leather vault 5.JPG

leather vault 8.JPG

Love the setup. I work at a furniture place and get a ton of chrome tan scraps, but this seems real nice for my veg. sides. Looks to save a ton of room.

3 hours ago, jrny4wrd said:

Thanks. I was/am considering these cardboard tubes but was also worried about chemicals from them. Just moved and had not yet gone completely leather-working dependent so my leather isn’t moving as fast as it was when it’s all I did. 
decided to start different leather projects, rather than customs. Customs were starting to bore me so it’s a complete over-hual. 
Have you ever had any sorts of problems with the board tubes? 

I have had zero problems with anything in these tubes - chrome tan, veg tan, or oiltan. Some of the chrome tan leather we pick up on specials at shows sits for a few years before it is used up now with no problems. These tubes are durable and most are still the originals from at least 17 or 18 years ago. She has replaced a few bigger tubes with more smaller ones now since she uses more chrome tan than I did.