Sign in to follow this  
Lippisch

Mitsubishi DB-179 help

Hello, I saw a second hand sewing machine as in title for 150 euros (about 155 dollars). I couldn’t find info online about feed or needle system. Does somebody have experience with this particular machine? Thanks.

pic of the machine?

glenn

Light duty auto-lube made for high speed sewing of thin shirts,dresses & draperies.Just has a bottom feed.

It depends on how many layers. I have a Juki equivalent of that. The DDL-5500.  It seems to struggle much beyond 2 layers of thick canvas.  My machine can't control thicker thread.  The tension is just never right when I use thicker thread and larger needles. Larger than 90/14. 

I just use it for regular cloth. Once I get above a certain number of layers or thickness, I switch to the walking foot. 

4 hours ago, Lippisch said:

Thanks a lot for your answers! You saved me some hassle.

HEY brand me the optimist .. ( my opinion ) Buy It .. It runs and looks like complete,clean machine . It is well worth picking up @ only 155-$, if you got the space to keep it for use. It WILL come in handy for something I am sure.

They were design for fabric and higher speeds .There are many Models of those DB's . There are many machines better sewing to own than a Old  Mitsu. DB Bottom Feed to sew leather, and heavy fabric with .

I Don't have a DB-179 . But I got a old 1980's Mitsu. ( DB-170 ) . It handle text70/#69 nylon thread pretty great with the Tension, but it wont do heavier thread weight .
I just changed out the feed dog and throat plate with heavier courser feed dog. Slow it down with a Servo, and It can sew threw several layers of 1000 Denier pretty easy with nice stitches .
Also you can get a Roller Foot and feed Dog/ and needle plate, and it will sew great also .

Negative -- It is just a Bottom Feed machine .  Bobbins are smaller size . Can't do heavier than #69 nylon/poly . It won't stretch out the stitches. the Max I can get is ( 6 stitch per inch ) .
-
OK.. here you go .
With text70 nylon thread and 'Leather' .  Also. here is the old DB Bottom Feed doing 8 layers of 1000 den. US mill  nylon .
Bottom and Top stitches look exactly the same on both these Pic's. Used round point needle, and I didn't change adjust anything.  I just moved from sewing the leather right into sewing the Nylon Cordura.

-
DB-170.thumb.jpg.99943da5619df7848ff605c7ea2edb3c.jpg
-

Edited by nylonRigging