lilbax

Best affordable sewing machine for leather 5/8”- 3/4”

I’m fairly new to the leather game. Im a fireman in Utah and enjoy making mask covers for fire fighter SCBA masks and fire helmet shields. The shields are up 5/8” thick when using two pieces, one to make the front and on for the back. I just did my first one by hand. I would like to find a machine that could do it a little cleaner and faster then I did by hand.

I went to a leather shop and they recommended the Cobra class 20/26 or the Sailrite Leatherwork but, that’s outside my price range. I’ve looked for used but can’t find any of those in that range too. I’ve seen some other threads here but they don’t talk about sewing thicker pieces like this. Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Nate

I use a cobra class 3, wish I'd have got the 4 sometimes. I routinely do 2,3, or 4 layers of 8/9 oz veg tan using 277 thread. I mainly do holsters and knife sheaths. I only wish for the class 4 for  some of my larger holsters. I know they are spendy, but that is what they are made for. Folks with more experience than me will help out I'm sure. Good luck.

11 hours ago, lilbax said:

I’m fairly new to the leather game. Im a fireman in Utah and enjoy making mask covers for fire fighter SCBA masks and fire helmet shields. The shields are up 5/8” thick when using two pieces, one to make the front and on for the back. I just did my first one by hand. I would like to find a machine that could do it a little cleaner and faster then I did by hand.

I went to a leather shop and they recommended the Cobra class 20/26 or the Sailrite Leatherwork but, that’s outside my price range. I’ve looked for used but can’t find any of those in that range too. I’ve seen some other threads here but they don’t talk about sewing thicker pieces like this. Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Nate

Nate . . . there is a thing called a Boss . . . made by Tippmann company in Indiana . . . I've owned one for 20+ years . . . made belts . . . holsters . . . knife / bayonet sheaths . . . purses . . . and some other stuff with it.  

Yes  . . .  it will sew 3/4 inch thick . . . but what I did with it when I needed to do that . . . I used it to punch the holes . . . then hand sewed the piece . . . as it gave me a neater looking piece.  

And no . . . did not do a bunch of them.  5/8 should be OK for you.

A brand new one is a grand . . . it bolts to your table edge (I've always used a C clamp) . . . and each pull of the handle down and push back up will give you one stitch.  BUT . . . the one really great feature . . . you can absolutely put that stitch where you want it.  Takes a lot more "practice" to do that with an electric machine.

I've done some small stuff like you are talking about . . . and for me . . . the Boss would be the best.

There are a few out there that are used . . . they usually get a good price because they just don't wear out . . . and if something breaks . . . or screws up . . . Tippmann stands behind them almost as good as the Zippo lighter people used to do.

PM me if you have any questions . . .  be more than happy to help you out.

-----------

EDIT (go to the bottom of the forum . . . sewing machinery for sale . . . used . . . there is a Boss for sale there . . . guy wants 1100 for it . . . they are sold brand new for 1000 . . . been sitting on his desk it seems . . . might get a deal from him)

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

On 10/15/2023 at 7:09 AM, lilbax said:

Moved your post to Leather Sewing Machines

On 10/15/2023 at 1:09 PM, lilbax said:

I went to a leather shop and they recommended the Cobra class 20/26 or the Sailrite Leatherwork but, that’s outside my price range.

In my opinion both those machines you listed are upholstery class machines with one being a cylinder arm machine (the Cobra) and the other a flatbed machine. Neither will do the job properly if at all as both are rated for less then what thickness you want to sew. That leaves you needing the punching power of a class 441 machine. If you want a manual machine (one arm bandit) you will need a machine like the Tippmann Bose, Cowboy Outlaw or the Weaver Cub. If want a motorized class 441 you will need something like the short arm Cowboy 3200 or the short arm Cobra Class 3.

What is your budget?????

kgg