DanishMan

PFAFF 145 to 545 conversion

Dear Friends

On a Facebook forum about industrial sewing machine mechanics somebody recently asked, if it was possible to change the bobbin case of a PFAFF 145 to the larger bobbin case of a PFAFF 545. 

I have done this on two 145s a few years ago, and it is a fairly simple process.

I have decided to replace the bobbin case of an old PFAFF 145 with the bobbin case of a PFAFF 543, which is also used on the PFAFF 545. At the same time, I will use the extra eccentric of the 543,  which enables the four-motion feed of the feed dog. The PFAFF 545 does not have this movement, but machines like the PFAFF 1245, 1445, 1525 etc have this feed dog motion.

PFAFF 145 and PFAFF 543

PFAFF 145.jpg

PFAFF 543 1.jpg

Edited by DanishMan

I will part of the 543 and use the following parts from the 543

The eccentric of the 543 including push rod.

PFAFF 543 3.jpg

The hook saddle holding the bobbin case of the PFAFF 543

PFAFF 543 4.jpg

Edited by DanishMan

Also I will use the feed lifting shaft of the 543

543 6.jpg

Finally I will fit a stronger take up lever to the machine, enabling it for heavy duty sewing.

Take up lever.jpg

Can you explain what benefit there is to the four motion feed of the feed dog.  I have a 145 and have replaced it with a 545.  Would love a 1245 but I have to stop somewhere ....

2 hours ago, fibersport said:

Can you explain what benefit there is to the four motion feed of the feed dog.  I have a 145 and have replaced it with a 545.  Would love a 1245 but I have to stop somewhere ....

The four motion feed dog is also call "square drive." If done correctly, the feed dog starts under the throat plate in the forward most position. It then lifts straight up above the plate level. The it moves the material in sync with the needle and inside foot. After reaching the back of its travel, it drops straight down. This makes the bottom assist a little more precise than the standard feeder, which has a slope as it engages and disengages. I don't know how much difference this would make in every day sewing.

First thing was to part out the PFAFF 543.

Not difficult, when you do it in the right order.

The most difficult thing is always to remove the main shaft.

Before attempting to remove the main shaft - the take up lever must be removed. It is pretty easy, but it can only be removed in a very specific position. 

Regarding the main shaft, obviously one need to loosen all the screws in the gears, eccentrics etc, but still it is often very difficult.

I have have found, that over time, the outer part of the main shaft often has small burs, gouges etc from years of use, in which the hand wheel has been on and off several time.

These small damages makes it virtually impossible to remove the main shaft. They have to be removed first. Use a fine file or sandpaper.

Using another main shaft - and a rubber hammer - prevents burs at the end of the main shaft.

543 main shaft copy.jpg

Edited by DanishMan

After parting out the 543, I decided to take the 145 apart as well, as it was immense dirty.

I use a water based industrial cleaner for washing all the parts and the machine itself.

Edited by DanishMan