eddo

Seiko sk8 flywheel change

I’ve recently purchased a seiko sk8, basically a singer 132 k6. two questions.. I have a failed renovation project- a singer 45 -and I’ve found that the massive flywheel from that will fit the sk8. Is this a good modification- I’m hoping to use it for slow work and for thick shoe outsole stitching? Also on that note
There’s only seems to be one presser foot type I can get.. a wide two-prong outer foot and narrow inner. I’m thinking for the outsole stitching I’ll need to grind off the right hand toe of the outer foot to get the needle close to the shoe edge.. so it will end up a one toe walker (or jumper).. Any thoughts on this? Image of the machine below part stripped for a spruce up, and the size of the 45k flywheel next to the original..  it’s a beefy change! IMG_4488.jpeg.c102b70848bef19084c7694541d7c7fd.jpegIMG_4441.thumb.jpeg.8fd5a4671ae17c28b11e200b1ebabc74.jpeg

Not stitching the soles correct ?

glenn

IIRC you need a spacer between machine body and flywheel to line up the flywheel pulley with the motor pulley. Otherwise you may have too much axial play .

Edited by Constabulary

Thanks for your replies.. I’m  Intending to stitch outsoles..ie vertically rand through to outsole.  regarding the flywheel I’m installing a new servo motor and a new deck on the table so will line up accordingly. 

I might be ahead of myself thinking I can sew boot soles with a flat bed straight stitcher… ( I’m new to shoe making) please forgive ignorance there if this is an impossible task. I have plenty of other projects in mind. 

20 hours ago, eddo said:

I might be ahead of myself thinking I can sew boot soles with a flat bed straight stitcher… ( I’m new to shoe making) please forgive ignorance there if this is an impossible task. I have plenty of other projects in mind. 

I tried sewing soles on various machines I've had over the decades. The worst ones are flatbeds. The best were cylinder arm machines that have very little space on the left of the needle. I sewed one pair of soles on my Cowboy CB4500 using an inline foot set. I used #346 thread and a #26 needle. I cranked down the foot pressure to keep the leather from lifting with the huge, loaded needle. It worked.

If you are planning to sew on soles more than once in a while, look for a used Landis 12 sole stitcher. The last model was a 12K. These machines had a curved needle (hook) and awl. They are specifically made to lay a perfect stitch of waxed thread along the edge. You sew with the sole up on the Landis'. It has a knife that cuts a channel on top to submerge the thread into the sole.

Sounds like I still need to resurrect the 45… in the meantime I’ll see what I can do with the Seiko. In do have a singer 54 post bed with wheel..  but with the thread size I want and machine power in think it will struggle with the task. The landis is hard to come by where I live in Tasmania, Aus.