RobertoDR69

Creating A New Stamp From Scratch

Hi All

I'm new here on this forum and I'm doing some research into stamping leather. I've got a client who owns a bar and he wants his logo on certain items and furniture within his bar. 

Is there a way on making your own purpose made stamp(s) and what would be the best materials to use?

Would I have to purchase from a company where I have purchased a stamping machine from?

Thank you for your help. 

you can  make stamps with a laser engraver/cutter. I've made them out of Delrin and acrylic 

16 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

you can  make stamps with a laser engraver/cutter. I've made them out of Delrin and acrylic 

Wow, they are a bit expensive for a one off job. Would there be any other cheaper ways?

hire someone to make them for you:yes:

4 hours ago, RobertoDR69 said:

Hi All

I'm new here on this forum and I'm doing some research into stamping leather. I've got a client who owns a bar and he wants his logo on certain items and furniture within his bar. 

Is there a way on making your own purpose made stamp(s) and what would be the best materials to use?

Would I have to purchase from a company where I have purchased a stamping machine from?

Thank you for your help. 

1. Find someone who does 3D printing and designing. I know a chap who does and he made me some different sized ampersands. He drew them up and then printed them for me. Charged me not a lot. With 3D printed stamps once you have the file you can print out at different sizes. You need to use a press with these stamps

2. I get brass stamps made by one of a few different Chinese makers through ebay. Their prices are reasonable. With brass stamps you are stuck with one size. You can heat them to burn the design on. You can use a press or a mallet with them

4 hours ago, RobertoDR69 said:

Is there a way on making your own purpose made stamp(s)

You could use 3D printed stamps or metal stamps however if this a one of project like @Bert03241 has suggested you would be better off hiring someone or a company to make the stamps. By the time you invest in equipment, learning a design program and the time of doing a prototype it wouldn't be cost effective.

The main problem is going to be dealing with the client and what they want / expect the logo to look like on the items (straight impression, burned in, colored with dye or foil, etc). If they already have a logo suggest that they go to whoever did the logo and get them to supply the stamp or stamps if they want different sizes and you just take care of the actual stamping. If they just have a hard copy of the logo get someone to convert it into a electronic file and ask for prices from the various embossing / stamp companies / individuals on the net.

@fredkhas made a couple of good suggestions.

kgg

On 11/5/2023 at 4:09 PM, fredk said:

1. Find someone who does 3D printing and designing. I know a chap who does and he made me some different sized ampersands. He drew them up and then printed them for me. Charged me not a lot. With 3D printed stamps once you have the file you can print out at different sizes. You need to use a press with these stamps

2. I get brass stamps made by one of a few different Chinese makers through ebay. Their prices are reasonable. With brass stamps you are stuck with one size. You can heat them to burn the design on. You can use a press or a mallet with them

Thank you for that information Fred

The size I'm looking for to begin with would be about - 5cm wide X 8cm long. Is getting this size on a stamp possible?

Thank you for your time. :-)

On 11/5/2023 at 4:51 PM, kgg said:

You could use 3D printed stamps or metal stamps however if this a one of project like @Bert03241 has suggested you would be better off hiring someone or a company to make the stamps. By the time you invest in equipment, learning a design program and the time of doing a prototype it wouldn't be cost effective.

The main problem is going to be dealing with the client and what they want / expect the logo to look like on the items (straight impression, burned in, colored with dye or foil, etc). If they already have a logo suggest that they go to whoever did the logo and get them to supply the stamp or stamps if they want different sizes and you just take care of the actual stamping. If they just have a hard copy of the logo get someone to convert it into a electronic file and ask for prices from the various embossing / stamp companies / individuals on the net.

@fredkhas made a couple of good suggestions.

kgg

Thank you so much for that advice. It looks like I can create a 5cm X 8cm 3D model, then get it cut/printed then purchase a press. I love the idea of burning the design onto the leather work, so getting this made in brass may well be doable. 

Thank you for your help Kgg

6 hours ago, RobertoDR69 said:

The size I'm looking for to begin with would be about - 5cm wide X 8cm long. Is getting this size on a stamp possible?

a. my 3D resin printer can print to about 7 inches by 4 inches. I just don't have the ability yet to draw up the artwork as a printer file yet

b. The largest brass stamp I have had made is 5cm x 5cm.  That is the largest size I wanted but the china-boys can and will cut brass stamps up to about 12cm square, or any combination size you want your artwork to be  

Edited by fredk