TomG

Crystal Rivets in Thick Leather

It's been a minute since I had to decorate with the post style crystal rivets, but I have a customer who wants them on a collar for her dog.
It's going to be 8-9 oz and the crystals I've seen have short posts.
I need some ideas of how to do this.
First, does anyone know of a source for rivets with longer posts?
1 solution I think of is to use a thinner leather with a backing to add thickness, but I haven't done any backed items using anything thicker than goat/lamb or 1/2oz VT. Since this will be a fairly short collar (15" neck size) I would think using anything thicker would stiffen it up too much.
The other idea I had is to somehow punch each rivet hole and then, somehow countersink the back of the hole to let the cap seat the rivet properly. My question is how to do that so I still have enough leather to seat the cap and not pull through to the front.
So, any and all suggestions are appreciated.

All the crystals I have have short stems, good for just about 1.5mm, 2mm max leather.

I would put the rivets on strip or strap of the thickest leather that can take them then glue & sew the strip to the main collar leather. Just working the other way round; thin backed by thick rather that thick backed by thin 

fredk provided the best solution to your problem. The two ply thicknesses will be even stronger and longer wearing than

any single thickness collar or belt with the added benefit of the turned back prongs being hidden between the layers.

3/4 OZ. top with 3/4OZ top with 3/4OZ bottom should be about right, and would approximate your original 8/9 OZ

plan.

Edited by sheathmaker

I thought I'd mention; the crystal topped rivets I have sit out from the leather a wee bit  so I use these cup washers under them. The washers makes the crystal appear to be bigger. The cup washer just takes up the empty space under the rivet head, it also makes it more secure and less likely to catch on anything

Rhinestone, rivet type, 01LWs.jpg

Rhinestone, rivet type, 02LWs.jpg

Rhinestone, rivet type, 03LWs.jpg

Could make the crystal studded strip as an inlay in a thicker strap. See this arrangement with fancy browbands/fronts on English bridles for dressage.  The raised edges offer some protection for the crystals.  Here's a dog collar with the same idea. https://youtu.be/ThF98j8fqzc?si=3NukH7_Z3PU0SFOW

what Fred said plus turn the thick side so the skin side is to the dog to get a nice lined finish. glue rough to rough.

15 hours ago, fredk said:

All the crystals I have have short stems, good for just about 1.5mm, 2mm max leather.

I would put the rivets on strip or strap of the thickest leather that can take them then glue & sew the strip to the main collar leather. Just working the other way round; thin backed by thick rather that thick backed by thin 

Thanks to all. Yeah, I figured I'd wind up using layers.
I was trying to avoid that because the collar has stamping on it, and the design is going to make it hard/impossible to sew the edges. So, they will likely be glued only.
I'm going to do some experimenting later today. I may have to widen the collar and put a grove and stitches outside of the scrolls.

100_3332.JPG