ToddW

OMTech BlackFriday

With Black Friday here, i saw OMTech had some decent discounts on their stuff.. just built a new shed/leather shop and now have room.  Was looking at the 60 watt MF2028.. thoughts? Chiller?  Air handler??

I have the 60W Omtech. It is actually 50W. Bought 2 years ago this month.

I love the machine and have little to no trouble with it. Lasers have a steep learning curve if you desire to do great work with them. The air assist in the Omtech as well as some others is worthless. Get/use an oilless air compressor with a good quality dryer or separator. Water droplets will ruin the lens. Use about 20psi air for engraving, around 40psi for cutting wood. I used a five gallon bucket of water adding frozen water bottles for almost two years with no problems. Bought 5200 chiller this year and it works perfectly and I don't need to keep running to the freezer.

Use and learn all you can about LightBurn software. Best there is. I believe Omtech packages LightBurn with the laser I am not sure of that. They do also sell it.

The Omtech 60W is a perfect size for doing wood engraving and cutting plus engraves leather perfectly. Keep the laser clean and adjusted, you will likely never feel you wasted your money.

I don't know Omtech  machine's But I'm sure that a 60 will be really good for you. Just make sure the laser tube is 1200mm long 50 t0 55 Dia otherwise its not 60 watts a 1000 mm tube is 40 watts.

As far as cooling if your just a hobbyist using the laser a few hours a day a 5 gal bucket from HD with frozen milk jugs is fine. Fill the bucket with 4 gal of distilled water drop in a frozen gal milk jug and your good for a couple hours. I try to keep my water between 65 and 75 if it gets up to 73 I put a new jug of ice in.

Let us know how it goes and if you need any help were here  for you.:yes: