Sign in to follow this  
Nametaken

Singer 29-4 threading problem

Hello everyone, I’m new to sewing machines so bare with my poor vocab and knowledge of these types of machines. I’ve done all my leather work up to this point with hand stitching.

I recently purchased a singer 29-4. When I got it everything moved, although I did quite a bit of cleanup and oiled it. It was missing the external spring from the back of the machine that rose the presser foot, but I have been able to side step that with a small piece of flat bar and what is a stand in for the sliding block that I intend to fabricate.

My question comes in that as I try to thread the machine when I get to the step where I slide the threading wire down the needle bar in the machine head the threading wire gets stuck right near the exposed part of the paddle spring that’s inset into the needle bar. No matter if I go from the bottom or top it get stuck in that spot. It feels like there’s something in the shaft plugging it. I am assuming that this is a different threading wire then is original to the machine but have found and ordered one that seems more similar to the original…

I would greatly appreciate any advice that you all could shed on my situation and general information about this machine y’all would care to share. The little I know is that the serial number dates to 1881 Germany and the little bit I’ve been able to glean from reading countless posts on this forum about this type of machine and can gather from the manual that I have and what I’ve seen on YouTube. Thank you ahead of time. 

1 hour ago, Nametaken said:

I’m new to sewing machines

Moved your post to leather sewing machines.  You'll get  help in this forum.

Thank you, I appreciate the suggestion. Will do. Is there a way to move it or are you saying to repost it to that section? 

Edited by Nametaken

3 hours ago, Northmount said:

Moved your post to leather sewing machines.  You'll get  help in this forum.

I appreciate the advice. I’m not super clear on how to find this forum. Any advice? I’m not having luck searching it…

1 hour ago, Nametaken said:

Thank you, I appreciate the suggestion. Will do. Is there a way to move it or are you saying to repost it to that section? 

As I said, I moved your post.  So you don't have to.

15 minutes ago, Nametaken said:

I appreciate the advice. I’m not super clear on how to find this forum. Any advice? I’m not having luck searching it…

All the forums are listed and described on the home page https://leatherworker.net/forum/

The search box is in the upper right of your screen.  There are several modes of how to search.  The search engine here is not great.  Try using a google search like this. 

"site:leatherworker.net your search parameters"  Drop the quotes and list your search parameters.  "site:" restricts the search to the named site.

Google and other search engines have huge resources to index the content of millions of pages on the internet, and to do searches extremely quickly.

@Nametaken, Something may be plugging the paddle spring. It could be a balled up or ripped off piece of thread. Or, the spring may have gotten twisted out of position so it is blocking the threading wire. If you can't ram the wire through, you should remove the needle bar and see what's going on under the paddle spring. If you remove the spring, keep the tiny screws apart and in the order you removed them. They are shaped after assembly to fit one side OR the other, not either side. Both the paddle spring and its screws are replaceable. I recommend that you take a clear close-up photo of the screws so you can reshape them after replacing the assembly.