Sign in to follow this  
Mike

horse checkbook

Earlier in the year when I started to do more leatherwork again, someone asked for a horse checkbook. It couldn't be flowers or butterflies, no..... it had to be a horse.

Here's how it turned out. :censored2: It was long enough ago that I can laugh at it now.

horse2.jpg

post-5060-1195957736_thumb.jpg

WOW! That's a boo boo alright. I'dve cursed over that for sure!

I did a recent one: I was convinced I'd done the design on one panel out of a strip of four (tissue box cover) upside down - so I chopped the strip into four separate panels (thus needing to stitch every corner instead of just one) After consulting the master pattern again, I realized I'd had it right to start with and just gave myself ALOT more work for nothing!!!!!

That was, however, second to my worse: I was making a tri leg stool pair for my parents' horse show stalls. I'd finished the first one perfectly. I was using a resist on the horse's body. When I got to the second horse, I forgot to paint his chest and forlegs with the resist before hitting it with stain...uh, suddenly a two tone horse! That was my first experience with dye removers/strippers.

I guess you can laugh at me too cuzz I don't get it....you don't carve horses facing to the right or what??

I have a horse, and I see him facing that way all the time... :dunno:

Other than that it looks to me like a nice clean job....if you hate it that much, send it to me!! :red_bandana:

I guess you can laugh at me too cuzz I don't get it....you don't carve horses facing to the right or what??

I have a horse, and I see him facing that way all the time... :dunno:

Other than that it looks to me like a nice clean job....if you hate it that much, send it to me!! :red_bandana:

Look at it agian. When in use the horse would be up side down.

Paul

Details details....too early on Sun. morning for me to figure that one out.... :head_hurts_kr: but thanks!!

Relativity, which way is up? Besides when the checkbook is open to use you can't see the horse. Still a nice project.

Jim

I think I used this one for dye practice after I stood back and looked at it. I just couldn't believe it. Evidently, I had drawn both panels and the frame and then just put the horse in the top panel instead of the bottom panel. Oh well, at least the carving part went pretty smooth.

PS If you want to see another boo-boo, look at the lower right corner of Christine Stanley's Last Supper pattern. Then look at the lower left side of the pattern.

If you don't have it, I'll reply with the boo-boo later.

Mike

I try to look at mistakes as design challenges. For example on this one, could you have cut it apart and laced it down the middle to fix it? Or could you have used pieces of it for some other project?

You've got a good point, Melody. Normally, I find this kind of mistake, have a mini nervous breakdown, hide it far from sight, and then go on to do it correctly. Not the best method, I know. (It also tends to waste leather)

A neighbor of mine used to get my mistakes, trim around them and frame them. He did not care if they were finished. He had several in his house that he had accumulated over the years.

I'll look around to see if this one is still hidden somewhere.

I picked up a craftaid in Sheridan a few years ago of a horse and maple leaves, an unpublished Al Stohlman design. It's a beautiful thing, if you turn the front panel over! The horse on it is upside down, just like yours, Mike!

Kathy