bladegrinder

New pancake holster...

Just finished this one, it's for a Glock 19. I made a IWB holster for it recently and figured I'd make a pancake for it too. I don't own a Glock so a blue gun was used.

I think I need to go with thicker leather though, this was 6-7 oz. I'm thinking 7-8 or 8-9 would be better. this one did come out good though, gave it some heat in a PID toaster oven at 150 for about an hour after vacuum forming it and it's nice and firm.   Thanks for looking!

glock 2 resized 600.jpg

glock 3 resized 600.jpg

Beautiful looking holster! Love the looks of it. Do you freehand cut your belt slots or do you use a bag/oblong punch? Thanks. 

Thanks Diesel, I use an oblong punch, buy once, cry once. :)

Nice job! I was using 7/8 then went to 8/9 when the 7/8 became more 7 than 8.....

I also like like a "reinforcing piece on the front as well but, that's a whole 'nother topic...

1 hour ago, bladegrinder said:

Thanks Diesel, I use an oblong punch, buy once, cry once. :)

Thanks @bladegrinder I appreciate it. Yeah ive been shopping for oblong/bag punches & they are not cheap. May I ask what size of punch you used on your pancake holster? Thanks.

Outstanding work you do. 

I can give you the size tomorrow Diesel, my shop is detached from the house and I'm ready to call it a night.

1 hour ago, Hags said:

Nice job! I was using 7/8 then went to 8/9 when the 7/8 became more 7 than 8.....

I also like like a "reinforcing piece on the front as well but, that's a whole 'nother topic...

Thanks Hags, I think I'm going to make another 1911 holster soon and I'm going to try the reinforcement panel on that one.

Diesel, the punch i have is Springfield leathers 2” craftmaster. now I knew this thing needed to be sharpened before use but wow, I think it needed more than just sharpening, I’m a knife maker so this didn’t bother me but for the average person they may spend a lot of time getting this to where it performs good. It’s built like a tank and will certainly take a beating with a 2# sledge hammer with no problem. I put it to my belt grinder and thinned out the sides before I even did the edge, after beveling the inside edge with a needle file I sharpened it up on the outside and it’s good to go. Like I said though, this thing needs some work before it’s ready to hammer thru multiple layers of leather.       That being said… I tried the hole punch and cutting with a razor and just didn’t get the results I wanted, probably just me but once this things ready it punches a nice perfect oblong hole.

Edited by bladegrinder

Please tell me the sledge hammer part was a joke lol. 

That's an awesome holster she looks great!!!!  I agree on the thicker leather I'll be making a couple this next week or so for a Glock 43 and a Taurus g3.

I use a hole punch and 1" wood chisel for my slots found that method before I could afford the oval punch and after a few years of practice I wont change they look just as good and i can make any size slots.

1 hour ago, bladegrinder said:

Diesel, the punch i have is Springfield leathers 2” craftmaster. now I knew this thing needed to be sharpened before use but wow, I think it needed more than just sharpening, I’m a knife maker so this didn’t bother me but for the average person they may spend a lot of time getting this to where it performs good. It’s built like a tank and will certainly take a beating with a 2# sledge hammer with no problem. I put it to my belt grinder and thinned out the sides before I even did the edge, after beveling the inside edge with a needle file I sharpened it up on the outside and it’s good to go. Like I said though, this thing needs some work before it’s ready to hammer thru multiple layers of leather.       That being said… I tried the hole punch and cutting with a razor and just didn’t get the results I wanted, probably just me but once this things ready it punches a nice perfect oblong hole.

Thanks bladegrinder. I appreciate it. I'm slowing acquiring tools, so I'll put 1 on my list. 

I've heard that about all your oblong punches need to be tuned up from the factory. 

I'm a knife maker as well, & that's also where I've been spending money on equipment  & such. 

Beautiful work you do. I enjoy seeing this type stuff. Thanks. 

A wood chisel is a great idea Chuck, I never thought about that. When I was trying to find out how to do these without a pricey pinch all I found were people using hole punches on the ends and cutting out the middle with a razor so I tried that but they kept ending up wonky looking. I don’t actually use a sledgehammer but I use a 2# hammer with about 1/2” of glued up scrap leather underneath.

Diesel, being a knife maker you won’t have any problem sharpening them. There pricy but it nice to just give it a couple good wacks and have a perfect hole.

Before I upgraded to a belt slot punch I did the wood chisel thing. I went to harbor freight and bought a set for about $10 that up to 2" if I remember right. Did a good job too. My dedicated punch now is a weaverleathersupply.com 1 3/4 belt slot punch. Spendy, but very nice. I occasionally touch it up on the buffing wheel to keep it slick. I also had the good fortune to find an older Tormek grinder a few years ago on Craigslist for $125. The honing wheel is worth the price. All my chisels have a mirror edge.