Acquired Tools

Hello all!

I haven't really posted on here before, been more of a lurker haha. 

Recently, while I was at work, a man came around selling some tools and leather that he had extra. I'm fairly new to leather working (about 7 months), but I have heard tell that some tools are better quality than others in the long run. I have been anticipating a chance to get some better tools so when he pulled out some punches that are branded "AS BRAND" and an "Al Stohlman" belt punch, I quickly offered to buy them as I recognized the name. In heinsight, I should have inspected them a bit closer.  A couple of the punches are damaged (See pics). I can't find any information on them online and was hoping someone could fill me and let me know if they can be fixed and/or if it would be worth while. 

I'm kind of leaning on; I should have looked closer and passed on them but hoping I can still get use out of them. The fact that they are already damaged and I can't find any information on them does not give high hopes for the others. 

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you (:

imageedit_4_7641746875.jpg

imageedit_2_3832150794.jpg

It'll take time but those punches can be reground and re-sharpened

Would AS Brand mean Al Stohlman Brand? 

4 minutes ago, fredk said:

It'll take time but those punches can be reground and re-sharpened

Would AS Brand mean Al Stohlman Brand? 

That's what I was thinking? It just says AS BRAND in all caps. The other Al Stohlman belt punch and the knives I've seen at work have the trademark brand with the 2A's symbol at the end. So, I'm not certain. That's what I was assuming. 

EDIT: my coworker said it was possible to get them functional but she didn't say much on how haha. 

Edited by age

You don't show the damage but they're hole punches. The important bit is the sharp end. I won't take much to make sure they are round and sharp. I would do the sharp bit with a file else you'll make the holes bigger, still usable but a bigger size. That crew punch is for strap buckles. Very useful and I imagine that one was quite expensive.

Edited by toxo

AS Brand and the Stohlman are the same. Tandy came out with these several years ago and long after Al Stohlman passed away. I can see the chip out of the edge of one of the round punches. Yeah, you can flatten it to an even contact edge, then go through a series of grits to reestablish the outside bevel and then clean up the inside edge. Slack belt knife grinders are good for this but out of most peoples reach. Worth it to even try? Not to me and I have the equipment to do it.

When I get these through the year I put them in the "specials box" and they sell as-is at the trade shows on the bargain table. If they are broken or chipped they never make past the garbage can next to my unpacking area. Just being honest. 

Sharpening the punches will give you a good set of nice punches. The experience of sharpening them will teach you a lot on how to care for your punches. Go to the 'Sharpening' section of this forum and start reading through the threads there to get an idea of how you can get them going.

chuck them up in an electric drill and hit them on a belt sander. 

On 11/30/2023 at 7:12 PM, toxo said:

You don't show the damage but they're hole punches. The important bit is the sharp end. I won't take much to make sure they are round and sharp. I would do the sharp bit with a file else you'll make the holes bigger, still usable but a bigger size. That crew punch is for strap buckles. Very useful and I imagine that one was quite expensive.

I do! It just might not be the most visible background. That's about what I expected, but stoked they will be usable! 

I paid $120 for all of them +2 piececs of OKAY vegtan, another that had a terrible smell and I had to toss. I thought that was decent, even with the damaged ones!

On 11/30/2023 at 10:19 PM, bruce johnson said:

AS Brand and the Stohlman are the same. Tandy came out with these several years ago and long after Al Stohlman passed away. I can see the chip out of the edge of one of the round punches. Yeah, you can flatten it to an even contact edge, then go through a series of grits to reestablish the outside bevel and then clean up the inside edge. Slack belt knife grinders are good for this but out of most peoples reach. Worth it to even try? Not to me and I have the equipment to do it.

When I get these through the year I put them in the "specials box" and they sell as-is at the trade shows on the bargain table. If they are broken or chipped they never make past the garbage can next to my unpacking area. Just being honest. 

I see, I appreciate the honesty. I will probably just stick to the punches I had already. -Don't tell the leather my tools are from different brands...

On 12/2/2023 at 9:47 AM, 1hp said:

chuck them up in an electric drill and hit them on a belt sander. 

Maybe if I happen upon one and feel like testing it out

Thank you all for the feedback!