CapitalLeatherGoods

New Leathermaker Looking to Learn

I have been thinking about a new hobby for several years and thought that I would join in on the fun since I have purchased a lot of leather goods over the years. I really enjoy them and people tend to stare when you pull out a nice leather notebook or wallet. My daughter is inspired me to look into it when she asked why I couldn't just make the bag instead of ordering one. 

I have ordered some simple tools and supplies to start the hobby and hope to learn much more and eventually make some bags too. For now I am keeping it simple with learning the basics and then going from there. 

Thanks for having me!

Welcome! You'll find a lot of good info here.

Welcome to the group. Bunch of great people here. 

2 hours ago, CapitalLeatherGoods said:

I have been thinking about a new hobby for several years and thought that I would join in on the fun since I have purchased a lot of leather goods over the years. I really enjoy them and people tend to stare when you pull out a nice leather notebook or wallet. My daughter is inspired me to look into it when she asked why I couldn't just make the bag instead of ordering one. 

I have ordered some simple tools and supplies to start the hobby and hope to learn much more and eventually make some bags too. For now I am keeping it simple with learning the basics and then going from there. 

Thanks for having me!

Good move and welcome. I took it up for something I could do in my old age and being constructive and not having to go out in the rain was a win win. Don't be afraid to make something good from the get go. Buy a pattern and start. If it calls for hole punching, then practice on scrap before you do it for real, that's how we learn. Treat your scrap as if it was the real thing and don't do it for real until you get it right, especially your stitching. My very first bag was received very well because I didn't rush it, I learned a hell of a lot and enjoyed it a lot.

Welcome, Toxo . . . most of us old timers will either not show you our "first"  . . .  or show it and laugh with you over it.

But in many cases . . . it is still in service . . . or at least still serviceable.

I'm still wearing (daily) my first personal CCW belt . . . made 20+ years ago.

May God bless,

Dwight

9 hours ago, Dwight said:

Welcome, Toxo . . . most of us old timers will either not show you our "first"  . . .  or show it and laugh with you over it.

But in many cases . . . it is still in service . . . or at least still serviceable.

I'm still wearing (daily) my first personal CCW belt . . . made 20+ years ago.

May God bless,

Dwight

Got a bit mixed up there Dwight.

Hang on. Re-read that. Not saying welcome to me. All good and yes, most projects will stand the test of time.

Edited by toxo