Seagrove59

Rolled handles question

What is the best weight of leather for doing a rolled handle. I plan on having a cord inside. I have 2-3 oz, & 4-5 oz available. 

On 12/21/2023 at 12:24 PM, Seagrove59 said:

What is the best weight of leather for doing a rolled handle. I plan on having a cord inside. I have 2-3 oz, & 4-5 oz available. 

Tandy sells piping leather & it's a 1-2oz leather. It looks to me they used rope as the piping, then sewed the 1-2oz leather around the rope. 

I myself have yet to try & make a rolled leather handle, but I think it could be done with 2-3oz leather. 

you can do a rolled handle with any weight leather but the diameter will be different. al stohlmans book "The art of making leather cases vol 2", has about 20 different ways to make a rolled handle. I saw anything from 2oz to 6/7oz in some of his handles didn't look at all of them. You should be good to go with what you have.

I use Stohlman’s handle #17. A 1-1/4” strap of 7-8 oz leather wrapped around a 7-8 oz filler. After rounding the rolled section is about 1/2” diameter. Here’s a summary https://www.leathercraftmasterclass.com/forum-1/leathercraft-techniques/rolled-leather-strap

Thanks to all, I jumped off the deep end with a thicker leather as the tote bag is quite big, they are a beast but should work. Need to finish the stitching on one and then trim both 

I use 9/10 oz Herman oak for the handles and for my gun case's. Getting the leather wet and rapping around a piece of rope.

On 12/23/2023 at 8:05 AM, DieselTech said:

Tandy sells piping leather & it's a 1-2oz leather. It looks to me they used rope as the piping, then sewed the 1-2oz leather around the rope. 

I myself have yet to try & make a rolled leather handle, but I think it could be done with 2-3oz leather. 

On 12/23/2023 at 8:27 AM, chuck123wapati said:

you can do a rolled handle with any weight leather but the diameter will be different. al stohlmans book "The art of making leather cases vol 2", has about 20 different ways to make a rolled handle. I saw anything from 2oz to 6/7oz in some of his handles didn't look at all of them. You should be good to go with what you have.

On 12/23/2023 at 11:28 AM, TomE said:

I use Stohlman’s handle #17. A 1-1/4” strap of 7-8 oz leather wrapped around a 7-8 oz filler. After rounding the rolled section is about 1/2” diameter. Here’s a summary https://www.leathercraftmasterclass.com/forum-1/leathercraft-techniques/rolled-leather-strap

4 hours ago, purplefox66 said:

I use 9/10 oz Herman oak for the handles and for my gun case's. Getting the leather wet and rapping around a piece of rope.

Thanks to all, I jumped off the deep end with a thicker leather as the tote bag is quite big, they are a beast but should work. Need to finish the stitching on one and then trim both . 

4 hours ago, purplefox66 said:

Thanks again showed my daughter and she is happy with result, will trim up and attach to tote bag when I finish it.

7113EF40-0BEB-4C12-B3E7-FB7E0F9FA640.jpeg