Colinml

punch vs pricking (round holes)

I'm trying to be economical in my tool purchases.  My goal is to do bags, which will be turned out after stitching, and, from what I understand, this requires either using piping or stitching without a slant to the holes (in order that the stitch remains invisible on the outside after turning right side out).  I also want straight stitching when doing some parts by hand because I want it to look similar to/ match the parts I do by machine.  

My question to bag makers:  KS Blade sells two items that create round holes.  (Sinabrok is another brand).  One type is an actual punch, which removes a small donut, and the other type is more like a standard iron, which is like a needle and pushes through, leaving a round hole.  Assuming I want to punch all the way through (rather than just marking and stitching with an awl), is there a difference?  Buying both sets would be too much to spend for me at this time. I'm inclined toward getting the irons, rather than the hole punches because I'm guessing they might go through easier?

Edited by Colinml
typos

I don't think you need to go so fancy for the work you want to do.  You'll be using softer leather which is turnable and "round dent" irons are what are generally used. I suggest Wuta irons.  They're inexpensive, sharp, and the teeth are replaceable.  The smaller the size, the tighter the seam.

https://www.amazon.com/WUTA-Removable-Stitching-Professional-Generation/dp/B0B4C35HWD/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2NZ629BROW6HC&keywords=wuta%2Bstitching%2Bchisel&qid=1703644653&sprefix=wuta%2B%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-2&th=1

Ah...  Thank you.  I have a couple other Wuta tools and they are sufficient for my skill level at this point.  At those prices I can afford to get different sizes for different size projects.  Much appreciated. -Colin

4 hours ago, Colinml said:

I'm trying to be economical in my tool purchases.  My goal is to do bags, which will be turned out after stitching, and, from what I understand, this requires either using piping or stitching without a slant to the holes (in order that the stitch remains invisible on the outside after turning right side out).  I also want straight stitching when doing some parts by hand because I want it to look similar to/ match the parts I do by machine.  

My question to bag makers:  KS Blade sells two items that create round holes.  (Sinabrok is another brand).  One type is an actual punch, which removes a small donut, and the other type is more like a standard iron, which is like a needle and pushes through, leaving a round hole.  Assuming I want to punch all the way through (rather than just marking and stitching with an awl), is there a difference?  Buying both sets would be too much to spend for me at this time. I'm inclined toward getting the irons, rather than the hole punches because I'm guessing they might go through easier?

The purists insist that hole punches weaken the leather which I suppose has to be true at the Nth degree but for bags and bigger projects I don't think it matters. Certainly doesn't bother me and at beginner level there's a lot more of a learning curve to using chisels instead of punches. For now I would buy a single punch with interchangeable  hole sizes. You'll still have to work out what size hole for what thread/needle combination. Later on when you know a bit more you can choose holes or chisels and can buy either 2/4/6/8 in one tool which will make the job go much faster.

Yes, regarding perforation from round holes, I agree that as long as I'm using larger spacing, I think I'll be ok.  Thanks for the sensible advice.

Single hole punches are great for individual, big(gish) holes, but I wouldn't want to line up the holes for a seam with them. One of the major advantages of the above linked tool is that it gives you the same distance between holes. And if you go two or three holes back with the 6-hole tool (making only 3 or 4 new holes), you greatly increase your chance for a straight line. The 2-hole tool is for curved stitch lines, but you'll still have the same distance between holes. Looks like a useful set to me!

1 hour ago, Klara said:

Single hole punches are great for individual, big(gish) holes, but I wouldn't want to line up the holes for a seam with them. One of the major advantages of the above linked tool is that it gives you the same distance between holes. And if you go two or three holes back with the 6-hole tool (making only 3 or 4 new holes), you greatly increase your chance for a straight line. The 2-hole tool is for curved stitch lines, but you'll still have the same distance between holes. Looks like a useful set to me!

You are of course right Klara. I should have said to be used with a printed pattern or a pricking wheel.

Ooh. I completely misread what you meant by single punch. I thought you were referring to not buying multiple sets, some round dent, some hole punches. 

In any case, the Wuta punches were cheap enough to buy both types (they have changeable tips) so I can experiment and find what works best for me. That was the main obstacle.  I didn’t want to spend several hundred dollars on tools I would not end up using. 

It's probably too late by now, but another way would have been to buy a pricking wheel as mentioned by toxo and work with an awl (as described by Al Stohlman). There's a steep learning curve, but once mastered it is probably the fastest and most versatile method. 

Hi Klara.  Not too late.  That was the method I first learned.  Trying new things.