Sign in to follow this  
Mulesaw

Double stitched halter

Using the fantastic instructions given by @TomE, I made another double stitched halter for Gustav's girlfriends new horse for Christmas.

For some reason they prefer a double stitched halter to a triple stitched, so I give them what they want.
This one I made the rolled throatlatch a bit thicker by adding a double filler. The last black one I made was a bit harder to do than the brown ones, It was like the leather was harder, so to overcome that I inserted a thicker filler, and it made it easier.

I have also engraved a name tag for the halter, just like I did on the last halters that I have made. The name tag was sewn on after these pictures were taken. The horse's name is Ocean X

IMG_4474.jpg.2d0df889a3f8352f4a87d62c18a9be7e.jpg

IMG_4475.jpg.beb236c5cd19291b648a9a68bd477ab0.jpg

Beautiful looking piece. Great work. 

I hope to get into making stuff like that someday. 

Thanks for sharing.

That's a beauty, @Mulesaw!  Looks like the rolled throatlatch turned out nicely.  I like the contrasting color on the thread.

@DieselTech thanks for the kind words. Horse related stuff is usually well received by horse owners. So if you would like to make something like it, A halter is really a good place to start, since most horse owners use halters of some kind. It is a doable project, even by hand stitching, but it takes a bit of time. But then again - if you have made it correctly, the halter will last for the next 50 years or so.

@TomE Thanks, I follow the instructions given by Gustav :-) And he likes that the stitches are visible. 
He got his journeyman's certificate as a carpenter this fall, but he has accepted a job as jumping rider at a stable called ESH sport Horses, I don't think the have a net page, but they are on IG. 

When I visited him he showed me that the head rider also had a triple stitched halter, something Gustav had never seen save for the first one that I made. 

I am planning on making a stallion halter based on a model that I borrowed from Katrinelund (the local large stallion station) I'll try to make some instructions for it to post here when I get it done. It is a heavy type halter with doubled leather all the way round The throatlatch and the noseband are both in one piece 5/4" wide. The cheek pieces are fastened through a slot in those. So the only hardware is a Ring in the bottom of the nose band. And 3 buckles. one for each cheek piece and one for the throatlatch/neck piece.
According to the owner of Katrinelund it is an old model that he had an old saddlemaker make for them years ago. And I can see the idea in it. It isn't a particularly pretty halter but it does a specific job, and it is virtually impossible for the stallions to loose the halter or to tear it apart. 

4 hours ago, Mulesaw said:

I am planning on making a stallion halter based on a model that I borrowed from Katrinelund (the local large stallion station) I'll try to make some instructions for it to post here when I get it done. It is a heavy type halter with doubled leather all the way round The throatlatch and the noseband are both in one piece 5/4" wide. The cheek pieces are fastened through a slot in those. So the only hardware is a Ring in the bottom of the nose band. And 3 buckles. one for each cheek piece and one for the throatlatch/neck piece.
According to the owner of Katrinelund it is an old model that he had an old saddlemaker make for them years ago. And I can see the idea in it. It isn't a particularly pretty halter but it does a specific job, and it is virtually impossible for the stallions to loose the halter or to tear it apart. 

Congratulations to Gustav!  I once saw a comment that Western saddle making is more like carpentry than leatherwork. :)  I'd enjoy seeing the stallion halter and your rendition of it.