DieselTech

Water buffalo! Anybody use it?

Guys & gals I'm curious if any of you have used veg tan water buffalo? 

It looks like most is sold in the 8-10oz thicknesses. I love the look of the leather & just curious of it uses. 

Would it be ok for single layer belt? Or should it be a lined belt? Would it work for bags/backpacks? 

Thanks any & all help will be appreciated.

I've used the 8 to 10 oz double buffalo butt from Springfield leather for belts and some 4 to 5 oz (unknown origin) for a purse.  The 8 to 10 oz I think is combination tanned, so not a pure veg tan and the 4 to 5 oz was probably chrome tanned.

The 8 to 10 oz is very dense per square foot and I wouldn't use it for large square footage projects because it would just be too heavy.  I personally use a single layer buffalo leather belt almost every day for the last 2 or 3 years.  Buffalo is strong, but tends to stretch more than cow.  For belts I wouldn't use it for heavy use belts / utility belts such as full size gun belts, but it works just fine for general use and light duty (I carry a multitool every day).  I notice more stretching at the belt notch than with cow, but nothing I'm concerned about.  I wouldn't have it under constant tension, i.e. using it to cinch your pants super tight.  Burnishes super easy and patinas well.

The 4 to 5 oz purse holds up well.  The thinner leather and smaller design control the weight.  Burnishes super easy, so the purse develops a patina easily.  Person I made it for likes it because it looks a decade old and you can see where the side of the purse has burnished just from brushing against their side consistently.  If you want a design that looks pristine for longer, I wouldn't use it.

On 12/30/2023 at 12:03 AM, DieselTech said:

Guys & gals I'm curious if any of you have used veg tan water buffalo? 

I have

It looks like most is sold in the 8-10oz thicknesses.

Mine was 2 - 2.5 mil about 5 -6 ounces

Would it be ok for single layer belt? Or should it be a lined belt? 

Mine was too light weight, but it was very flexible so I'd say - No

Would it work for bags/backpacks? 

Yes, it would. Mine had a grain pattern, (natural, not pressed in,) on it which shouted 'leather' 

2 hours ago, RidgebackCustoms said:

I've used the 8 to 10 oz double buffalo butt from Springfield leather for belts and some 4 to 5 oz (unknown origin) for a purse.  The 8 to 10 oz I think is combination tanned, so not a pure veg tan and the 4 to 5 oz was probably chrome tanned.

The 8 to 10 oz is very dense per square foot and I wouldn't use it for large square footage projects because it would just be too heavy.  I personally use a single layer buffalo leather belt almost every day for the last 2 or 3 years.  Buffalo is strong, but tends to stretch more than cow.  For belts I wouldn't use it for heavy use belts / utility belts such as full size gun belts, but it works just fine for general use and light duty (I carry a multitool every day).  I notice more stretching at the belt notch than with cow, but nothing I'm concerned about.  I wouldn't have it under constant tension, i.e. using it to cinch your pants super tight.  Burnishes super easy and patinas well.

The 4 to 5 oz purse holds up well.  The thinner leather and smaller design control the weight.  Burnishes super easy, so the purse develops a patina easily.  Person I made it for likes it because it looks a decade old and you can see where the side of the purse has burnished just from brushing against their side consistently.  If you want a design that looks pristine for longer, I wouldn't use it.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I'll see what I think of it once the leather arrives. 

37 minutes ago, fredk said:

I have

Mine was 2 - 2.5 mil about 5 -6 ounces

Mine was too light weight, but it was very flexible so I'd say - No

Yes, it would. Mine had a grain pattern, (natural, not pressed in,) on it which shouted 'leather' 

Thanks fredk I was beginning to think nobody here has made or messed with it. 

I was beginning to think I made a bad choice of keeping some water buffalo in stock/on hand. 

But something about its natural texture I love. 

Thanks. 

I had some about 20 years ago. Tooled nicely, if I remember correctly it took a bit more time to case properly. What I had would have made a decent belt.

I have used Buffalo  hide before. But what type of Buffalo I can't be sure ( I still have some left) . It was ' on special' on a suppliers web site.  What I ended up with was good, around 5mm thick but it was waxy on the grain side, black chrome tanned .  It made nice belts etc. But I soon realised why it was so cheap.  When I made a belt or a dog collar, the black kept coming out...onto  a customers dog:blush: All the sealers I have didn't work. I ended up using a water based ( wood) varnish to seal it  as "NeatLac " was no longer available,  and the equivalent to was too cost restrictive  in freight from the east. ( can't be air freighted ) .

HS