Sign in to follow this  
Timbo

stool

I can make a pattern for the seat and I can make the wooden legs (no I don't want one of the new style with metal lags) but how do the 3 legs hook together?? They say there is some special hardware you have to make. But not having ever seen one, I have no idea how to do it. Does anybody have any instructions or pictures they can post??

I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Tim

I have an old 3 corner stool. The legs are connected with a y shaped piece that is threaded at each end. Acorn nuts then go at the threaded ends.

That helps, but would have no idea where to get such a thing. I've heard before that somehow or other an eye bolt is involved. Anybody??

tim

In the past, the welded three-prong bolts had a tendency to break. I made one by heating and bending a piece of all-thread to 120-degree angle for two of the prongs. For the third prong, I drilled a hole in the head of a thumb screw and ran the bent all-thread through it. An eye bolt may work, but the thickness may also cause trouble. You'll need to try it and let us know.

Dale

I have some y bolts for the stools years back you could just buy those bolts separate i might be able to part with one or 2. seems to me ive seen them again lately some place. and i think ive seen or read some place about taking a double threaded bolt or rod n bent it then slide an eye bolt over the bent bolt but could be i dreamt it to lol. Bronc

I normally have just had someone make them for me by welding 3 bolts together at 120 degrees each. . . BUT if you want a more "rugged" look you can use a piece of thick veg tanned leather in a circle (like a bracelet a little larger than the 3 legs together). Place the leather loop at the fulcrum point of the 3 legs (normally middle of the leg) To keep the leather "loop" from sliding up or down when legs folded straight you can put one tack through the leather into one leg. If you want to try this, let me know and I'll post a picture. Doug

Hi there.

I have made a number of leather pads for the 3 leg stools. The legs are about 2ft high and are held together with a 3 pronged bolt arrangement that is welded together. Now this must be made properly or it will fall apart when someone fat sits on it. that... you dont want. The bolts must be at least 6-10mm thick steel. they are layed out in a tri pattern, welded good and strong then fitted with dome nuts. The legs have a hole thru each about half way up and they too should be strong wood. when all fitted together they should splay out and then you can make the VEG leather seat.

This is in the shape of a triangle with rounded corners. Make sure you glue and sew with heavy stitches good and strong also.

Good luck

T

"Way down under"

Thanks for all the ideas guys..........Doug, post a pic of that, it might be the best way for me.

Thanks again.

Tim

Timbo,

I'm attaching 2 pictures. . . 1 is of how the 3 bolts look when welded together if you go that route. . . the other is of wrapping leather around the 3 legs. . . I didn't actually have a "nice" one with the leather wrap, so I just made one real quick and put 2 rivets in it so you could get the idea. . .it just needs to be a little loose around the 3 legs, then when you spread the legs, the leather wrap gets snug as they spread. . . you will want to make yours of thicker leather and to reinforce it more (even wrapping around multiple times).

You can even use a shoe string to tie the legs together, we had to do it while camping when the metal bolts broke. . . but the shoe string probably won't attract too many customers, heavy leather is much nicer! Doug

100_0624.JPG 100_0625.JPG

post-5129-1196101479_thumb.jpg

post-5129-1196101560_thumb.jpg

One could also take 3 heavy duty eye bolts & fasten them together with a bolt, nut & washers through the eye (got this from a british book that has a pattern for a 3 corner stool in it). Each leg will have a different hole corresponding to the different stacked eyebolts.

Wow, this forum is great!!! Thanks guys for the picks and all the ideas. I'm kind of intrigued by the 3 eye bolt thing too. (never thought of that) One more question though.....what shape is the top of the legs where it goes into the pockets of the seat?? Do you just round them off or kind of flatten them out at an angle on one side??

thanks

tim

Here are some pics of the stool.

The first are of rattan legs and the rest is the same seat with ABS plastic legs from the shipyard.

The 3 bolts as mentioned are used to fasten them together and yes, this one all ends were cut at an angle.

IMG_1761_1_1.JPG

P1190002_5_1.JPG

P1190003_4_1.JPG

P1190006_3_1.JPG

post-118-1196170262_thumb.jpg

post-118-1196170328_thumb.jpg

post-118-1196170351_thumb.jpg

post-118-1196170364_thumb.jpg

Wow, this forum is great!!! Thanks guys for the picks and all the ideas. I'm kind of intrigued by the 3 eye bolt thing too. (never thought of that) One more question though.....what shape is the top of the legs where it goes into the pockets of the seat?? Do you just round them off or kind of flatten them out at an angle on one side??

thanks

tim

They are just rounded off, unless you'd want to get fancy with them. Tandy's were rounded off. I got one on ebay so I could have a pattern for the seat (the actual dimensions, not the carving pattern), so this is how I know.