Sign in to follow this  
maggielj

New (to me) Randall! lots of questions...

Hi everyone! Happy new years! 

I made the trip to Winchester, KY (home of beer cheese and my favorite drink, Ale-8-1) to pick up this Randall! The people I bought it from said that it was her dad who passed away, and he had this, another Randall, and a Champion. I wish I could have taken pictures of his machines, it was the first time I had ever seen a Champion machine. $1900 and and and extra hour of driving its in its new home, at the expense of a few sore backs this evening. I have gotten it all cleaned the best I could and is drenched in clear sewing machine oil as of now. It is turning over mostly smooth, but it is tough to turn when the needle comes up and advances the material, I'm thinking its normal but would like that reassurance. I ran it minimally before buying and everything seems to be in working conditions, but I do not have experience with this type of machine.

With this I have a few questions.

Does anyone have a PDF of the manual? A read only file would be perfect until I can call Campbell-Randall Tuesday

Is polyester OK to run in this machine? I have read a lot of conflicting advice on this. Machine came with some brown weaver nylon, I do not have linen thread but will eventually order some.

In the second picture, is the screw to the right missing a wing nut? It also does not have a shim under it like the one on the right.

I think I am also missing a set screw in the 4th and 5th picture, is this cruital? I think I am also missing a spring in the stitch length adjustment, hence the two clamps. 

What is the best type of oil for this machine? I used clear sewing machine oil just because its what I had, but I saw a video of a fellow using 30 weight. What's best?

And finally (I will for sure have more down the road) how the heck do I wind bobbins for this?!?!? 

IMG_3317.jpg

IMG_3316.jpg

IMG_3315.jpg

IMG_3314.jpg

IMG_3312.jpg

IMG_3311.jpg

72575557797__037236F8-DFA4-40CB-8EB5-FAECA1255466.jpg

i had my pictures wrong, here is the set screw that is missing on what i’m assuming is a thread arm 

IMG_3325.jpg

No help from me but, what a great find!    I'm sure someone will have some advice for you.

I now have the manual PDF. See attached file.

CampbellManual-2017-web.pdf

Edited by Northmount
Uploaded manual

17 hours ago, maggielj said:

I now have the manual PDF if anyone else needs it PM me.

Please post it here so others that come across this thread later will be able to obtain it.  If the file is too large, message me and I will give you an email address to send it to, and I will post it here. 

Very cool!