DieselTech

Skiving machine help!

Guys & gals I'm wondering if I should buy a skiving machine. I make lots of belts, & wallets, & want to get into making bags at some point. 

I'm looking at this consew dcs-S4 skiving machine. What is some of my benefits to having this machine?

Where is a machine like this most helpful & what can be done with it?  What can I all do with it?

Will this machine be ok? Or are there other/better options out there? 

Thanks any & all help will be appreciated.

phppqRaKAAM.jpg

Looking on the web, it looks like I will need a top & bottom feed skiver to use it with veg-tan leather. Is this correct? 

2 hours ago, DieselTech said:

Looking on the web, it looks like I will need a top & bottom feed skiver to use it with veg-tan leather. Is this correct? 

Incorrect. A bottom feed skiver can thin veg tan up to about 4-5 oz depending on skill and other specifics. I modified mine to skive the edges of 9-10oz bridle leather straps  down to ~3 oz in a single pass. I posted a summary in the leather machine forum.  I like my bottom feed machine because it’s just right for soft, thin leather but it can do heavier jobs with a bit of reconfiguring. Lots of feet and other parts available for the bottom feed machines, and there’s probably more demand for resale. 

58 minutes ago, TomE said:

Incorrect. A bottom feed skiver can thin veg tan up to about 4-5 oz depending on skill and other specifics. I modified mine to skive the edges of 9-10oz bridle leather straps  down to ~3 oz in a single pass. I posted a summary in the leather machine forum.  I like my bottom feed machine because it’s just right for soft, thin leather but it can do heavier jobs with a bit of reconfiguring. Lots of feet and other parts available for the bottom feed machines, and there’s probably more demand for resale. 

Thanks @TomE I appreciate the info. I'm wondering if it's something I should try & budget into my spending. 

Then trying to figure on how much it will get used & what all projects I might need it for & will make easier.

My advice would be to focus on one or two projects using hand tools, develop the required skills,  then buy machines as you decide what you enjoy making and have a specific use for a machine. For me it was a lot of hand sewing and learning to cut out shapes and cut straps then how to split and skive leather.  I did a lot of hand skiving before I bought a used bell skiver. It is a luxury that I probably didn’t need but it helps me refine some aspects of my projects. For me, a good set of hand tools, a stitching horse, and a sewing machine are the main show. Someday I might resume carving and stamping but I wasn’t very good at it when I boxed up those tools as a teenager, so it would take a while to develop some proficiency. For now, I am happy cutting and sewing. 

9 hours ago, DieselTech said:

Guys & gals I'm wondering if I should buy a skiving machine. I make lots of belts, & wallets, & want to get into making bags at some point. 

If you want to do any serious sort of production making leather goods you need 3 main tools. The right type sewing machine for your work. The right sort of clicker press and a bottom feed skiving machine. If you have a look at my web page at the wide variety of products shown there I can say that more than 90% of the products use these 3 machines. A look through my YouTube channel will show some videos of us using these machines. Wild Harry YT

4 hours ago, TomE said:

My advice would be to focus on one or two projects using hand tools, develop the required skills,  then buy machines as you decide what you enjoy making and have a specific use for a machine. For me it was a lot of hand sewing and learning to cut out shapes and cut straps then how to split and skive leather.  I did a lot of hand skiving before I bought a used bell skiver. It is a luxury that I probably didn’t need but it helps me refine some aspects of my projects. For me, a good set of hand tools, a stitching horse, and a sewing machine are the main show. Someday I might resume carving and stamping but I wasn’t very good at it when I boxed up those tools as a teenager, so it would take a while to develop some proficiency. For now, I am happy cutting and sewing. 

Yeah I decided as of now I really dont need a bell skiver yet. Like you said I need to focus on the basics. 

I am fairly decent at stamping, but figure carving I'm not soo good at. Lol I need lots more practice. 

Thanks. Appreciate the help.

9 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

If you want to do any serious sort of production making leather goods you need 3 main tools. The right type sewing machine for your work. The right sort of clicker press and a bottom feed skiving machine. If you have a look at my web page at the wide variety of products shown there I can say that more than 90% of the products use these 3 machines. A look through my YouTube channel will show some videos of us using these machines. Wild Harry YT

Yeah I am slowly acquiring my machines. I got a cobra class 4 coming in march. 

I was thinking maybe I should start saving for a skiving machine. 

Thanks for the info & the link. I will go check it out. 

11 hours ago, DieselTech said:

I'm looking at this consew dcs-S4 skiving machine. What is some of my benefits to having this machine?

Where is a machine like this most helpful & what can be done with it?  What can I all do with it?

Will this machine be ok? Or are there other/better options out there? 

Thanks any & all help will be appreciated.

phppqRaKAAM.jpg

I skived by hand, with the 5$ skiver I bought in 94 till 2 years ago. I bought the techsew. Definitely waited 30 years too long. 

Search for an 801 bell skiving machine. That's what most of em are. Preferably one with a vacuum. Most don't have a vacuum but you can rig one up yourself. People will say you don't need one and that's true but once you're used to a machine skiving is much easier and a hell of a lot faster. Lotsa vids on YT.

Even if you don't need one now you can keep an eye out. I waited quite a time then found one in a warehouse type place advertised for £600 with vacuum. When I got there it didn't work properly but I'd done my homework and I knew what was wrong with it and knew it wouldn't take much to make it right so I haggled and got it for £300.

Edited by toxo
More info.