Hello everyone, 

I need to know if a boot like this can be repaired?  It's a large scratch and I'm not sure how to go about getting it fixed.  I was thinking of sanding around the scratch, then trying to buff with either saddle soap or an oil?  

Any ideas???

Thanks

BOOT SMAL.JPG

@toolleather 

I don't think that you can repair that in a way where it will become invisible/blend in.

The scratch looks as it is very deep, and I can see that it has even severed some of the stitches on the ornamentation.

If you give only that area some oil, you'll darken the surroundings some - and the scratch itself will look even darker I'm afraid. You could try to give all of the brown leather part some oil or leather grease. but the scratch will still be visible.

To me it looks like a pair of expensive boots. So it might be worth finding a couple of pieces of leather of approximately the same tan and colour, and then try to make a heavy scratch in those pieces of leather and do some testing on those before moving to the boots.  maybe you could find some cheap 2nd hand boots at a thrift shop to experiment on. 

Good luck

Brgds Jonas

Yes, they were expensive.  I'm not a boot maker or anything, I just make a few projects here and there, and was asked if these could be fixed?  I figured it would be tough to try to get the scracth out, but thought I'd take a chance and ask.  Thanks for the reply.

@fredk,

I will look into the repair gel.  How does this work?  Do you fill in the scratch, and then polish it?

Having told you not to put sand-paper to it . . . .  you use sand-paper just lightly on the injury. You then apply the paste, a bit like putting fillers on wood. You get it level then, if there is texture you press something on the surface to give it a matching texture. Then you leave it to set. It remains flexible. If you buy the kit of colors they come with texture sheets, and you have enough colors to mix and match the color of he boot 

Edited to add; I've used repair gel on my Cadillac dash, door cards and upholstery. It served well

Edited by fredk

Thanks so much for the tips.  I will try this.