Wellington

Pfaff 545 - CLPMN versus CLMN ?

Hello, all,

I've been looking for a Pfaff 545 for a while, and I recently found one but had a question about the different specs denoted by the letters in the model number.

Most of the machines I've seen have "CLPMN" on the brass tag, but the one I found recently lacks the "P" and instead the brass tag is stamped:

545-H4-6/01

CLMN 10

I have a document on the Pfaff letter codes and it says that the "P" means "four-motion drop feed on top-feed machines."

Can anyone clarify for me how the "CLMN" version differs from the "CLPMN" version? Also, can anyone tell me what the "10" means after the "CLMN"?

I currently have an Adler 67-373GK machine, which I believe is pretty close to a Pfaff 145, if that helps in explaining how this machine might compare to mine.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Jeff

pfaff tag.jpeg

To (maybe) clarify and simplify my question, I was under the impression that all Pfaff 545 machines, and all Pfaff 145 machines -- like my Adler 67-GK373 or any true compound-feed "walking foot" machine -- worked the same way. But the "P" in the 545 model number -- or lack of a "P" -- suggests to me that maybe different versions of the 545 work differently.

Is that the case, and if so, how do they work differently? (And sorry if my earlier post was too wordy and/or unclear.)

Edited by Wellington

I seem to recall Wizcraft answering this for me some time back, however I can't seem to find my post.  I'll check later tonight but maybe he will stop by before that.  

@Wellington This code means it does not have drop-feed,it would be a machine more suitable for binding.

pfaff145code - Copy.jpg

Edited by CowboyBob

Thank you, CowboyBob. I had a feeling it was too good to be true. Trying to find a nice 545 for a decent price is no small feat!

Looks like an H4 machine, that means it should have 14mm foot lift!!!

Before you let this machine go better test it to see if it suits your needs. Not having a drop feed does not mean that it only can do binding work. Pfaff 335 and Adler 69 also no not have drop feed (some do but most don´t) and they are very common in leather work. Back in the old days there were leather sewing machines with only needle feed meaning they had no feed dog at all and they worked! So if I was you I would test it before I make a decision only by the digits on a brass plate. Keep in mind that these digits just show how the machine was set up when it left the factory but it does not tell you if the machine has been modified.

Test it - then make a decision. My 2 cents.

Thanks, Constabulary, good points. Unfortunately, the machine is about 5-6 hours away, and I mainly want it for upholstery rather than leather...I really like my Adler 67-GK373 but parts can be hard to source and are probably 10X the price of parts for a Pfaff 145 or 545 (if you can find Adler parts at all). This price differential has never made much sense to me, since (as I understand it) my Adler is like a twin of the 145 but that seems to be the case...I think I could buy a new hook and a pile of presser feet for a 145 or 545 for what I paid for one presser for the Adler...

Edited by Wellington

14 minutes ago, Wellington said:

Thanks, Constabulary, good points. Unfortunately, the machine is about 5-6 hours away, and I mainly want it for upholstery rather than leather...I really like my Adler 67-GK373 but parts can be hard to source and are probably 10X the price of parts for a Pfaff 145 or 545 (if you can find Adler parts at all). This price differential has never made much sense to me, since (as I understand it) my Adler is like a twin of the 145 but that seems to be the case...I think I could buy a new hook and a pile of presser feet for a 145 or 545 for what I paid for one presser for the Adler...

We stock market feet & other parts for the Adler 67's for alot less $$ than Adler sells them for.And if you have an Adler you should try to buy another Adler if you need a 2nd machine so the feet & etc interchange.

Edited by CowboyBob

It has skiff feed instead of 4 motion drop feed.  H4 high lift and possibly a 10 mm max. stitch length stitch length which were special order and rare.   It should still sew and feed well.  If it does indeed have a 10mm max. stitch length, buy it and buy it NOW!

glenn

23 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

We stock market feet & other parts for the Adler 67's for alot less $$ than Adler sells them for.

Thank you again, Cowboybob. I was going by the prices I found on ebay, but if I need more parts for the Adler, I'll be sure to get hold of you. I found some Chinese feet for the Adler, but they were too tight to fit, and I had to drill them out a hair on the drill press, and the steel was HARD.

Thank you Shoepatcher, for the explanation on the feed mechanism. I was not familiar with "skiff feed." Would that be like this first illustration?

X-HT-300383-Ultrafeed%20Walk.gif

as opposed to this "compound" walking foot:

X-HT-300383-Fabricator%20Walk.gif

My Adler 67-GK373 works like the second picture shown, which is what I'm accustomed to, and would prefer in a 545...

I really appreciate all your help, folks. Thank you. This is the best site I've found on the Internet for industrial sewing machine information.

No the first pic is 4 motion drop feed.  In skiff feed, the feed dog goes back and forth but does not drop.

glenn