RKCrowe

Stone or Coin Both sides Visible

Good day,

I would love to do a keychain, or something similar, that has a stone/coin with both sides visible. 
  My questions are ;  what are the key points to securing the item in place? Considering how much handling it might endure, such as a keychain/fob going in and out of a purse or pocket. 
ok, that’s one question, but with multiple points to consider!

thank you 

Richard

That's gonna be pretty tough. Maybe just make a cutout in two layers of leather that's quite a bit smaller than the coin? It would probably have to cover up the edges quite a bit to stay secure. And maybe you could contact cement the edges of the coin that you'll be covering up? Hopefully someone else has a more brilliant idea to help you!

I would do the cut out and add a piece of plastic over both sides and stitch it in place and then stitch the outside edges.

If its a coin, you could make 2-4 holes placed symmetrically,, sew them in place between 2 layers of leather and make that a part of the design. Stick it everywhere else with contact cement though.

Thank you for your help. I agree, it definitely will be a tricky one.

am wondering if I could solder a wire frame that would be in between the two layers. Might work on a coin.

this will require some bourbon and more thinking!

The holes don't need to be much smaller than the coin/stone. It's the stitching that's the key. If you get the stitches really close the coin/stone can't move.

That makes sense. Thanks