Sign in to follow this  
Anvil

19th century "doghouse" stirrups

Hello folks!

I've started building hard-to-find, old-style stirrups of various kinds for period saddles, and here's my first offering: "Doghouse" style stirrups, suitable for saddles made from the 1860's to the '90's, made from steam-bent ash wood, 1/2 inch thick. The cross bars are solid oak. The blued steel rivets and other metal fittings are all hand forged. The oval reinforcement plates on this pair are solid brass, with blued steel or German silver available as options. Measurements on this pair are 4 1/2 inch depth (front to back measurement), 5 inch height and 5 inch width (measured inside the foot opening). Finish is three coats of oil. I'll be making several other styles over the coming days so please check back! Also, custom orders are more than welcome, so feel free to share your favorite old photos or catalogue illustrations. Price on this pair is $220 (most other styles will be less expensive, due to varying labor requirements). Thanks very much for looking!

doghouse.png

Edited by Anvil

Beautiful work on those. Very classy. Nice work.

Nice to know of a source for stirrup designed in the old styles.  They look good, and I am impressed with the metal work.

On 1/27/2024 at 10:22 AM, DieselTech said:

Beautiful work on those. Very classy. Nice work.

Thank you very much!

On 1/28/2024 at 12:49 PM, Goldshot Ron said:

Nice to know of a source for stirrup designed in the old styles.  They look good, and I am impressed with the metal work.

Thank you very much!

Those are so nice, I'd be reluctant to mount them on a saddle and get them banged around and scuffed up while riding! 
Oh wait...maybe on a parade saddle! :lol:

On 1/30/2024 at 1:46 PM, DJole said:

Those are so nice, I'd be reluctant to mount them on a saddle and get them banged around and scuffed up while riding! 
Oh wait...maybe on a parade saddle! :lol:

Thank you! Rest assured, however, they're definitely intended to get "scuffed up". Solid ash wood is what they make baseball bats out of! :)

"Doghouse" stirrups #2. These were quite a bit simpler to construct than the first pair, so they're cheaper. They're also the most common style for the period, and feature all of the correct details (the pointed top profile, square nuts, heavy duty blued carriage bolts). 4 1/2" deep (front to back measurement) and made for 3" stirrup leathers. Please let me know if you'd prefer them sized for 2 1/2" leathers. Price for this pair is $180.

doghouse2.png