BrainTannedKiwi

How to get two coloured embossing

belts2-mv0xZ127M8u04xVp.jpg.4ab71c6dc97d4edfac545dc83e665cbc.jpg

How is something like this done? In particular the two toned colours on the embossing, my guess is dye then emboss then use a flat roller to paint just the tops? 

Also where's the best place to get custom leather embossing rollers? I know about Sergey at Leather Stamp Tools. Thanks everyone!

Interesting idea. My first thought is to research hot foiling. Foil comes in many colours but I don't know if there are any with glue that will withstand rough useage. If using a heated stamp it should only stick in the lower bits.

33 minutes ago, toxo said:

Interesting idea. My first thought is to research hot foiling. Foil comes in many colours but I don't know if there are any with glue that will withstand rough useage. If using a heated stamp it should only stick in the lower bits.

yea i see your idea, it does look like it has been painted/dyed though right, i have seen another example of this but cant seem to find the photo, could always color neutral antique finish to get something a bit similar.

I suspect that those are not embossed with a roller, but rather embossing plates.   Look at the topmost blue belt and you can see a slight separation between embossed sections.  It's noticeable with some of the others as well.  Also, agree with @GatoGordo they are likely dyed the base color and then block dyed black after that.

- Bill

6 hours ago, billybopp said:

I suspect that those are not embossed with a roller, but rather embossing plates.   Look at the topmost blue belt and you can see a slight separation between embossed sections.  It's noticeable with some of the others as well.  Also, agree with @GatoGordo they are likely dyed the base color and then block dyed black after that.

- Bill

Ah yea that would make sense as they also make wallets and stuff with more square patterns, I'm looking at getting an embossing roller would these plates be the better option?

7 hours ago, GatoGordo said:

The technique is called block dying. Here is a video showing the process.

yea cool as i suspected, very useful thank you

Roller embossers and plates both have their place.  Rollers are generally easier but are more or less limited to patterns that repeat at up to about 4 or 5 inches or so (depending on the outer diameter of the roll).  If you want a more varied pattern, you CAN use rollers and switch them out for different sections, but that is a huge pain to get things lined up right.   For those more varied patterns, embossing plates are a better choice.  It's relatively easy with plates to mix and match patterns for a wider variety of items.

- Bill

On 1/30/2024 at 4:22 AM, billybopp said:

Roller embossers and plates both have their place.  Rollers are generally easier but are more or less limited to patterns that repeat at up to about 4 or 5 inches or so (depending on the outer diameter of the roll).  If you want a more varied pattern, you CAN use rollers and switch them out for different sections, but that is a huge pain to get things lined up right.   For those more varied patterns, embossing plates are a better choice.  It's relatively easy with plates to mix and match patterns for a wider variety of items.

- Bill

Thats good to know, Ive got a roller machine on the way so I can get a grip on the dyeing techniques then maybe in the future get some plates, could you not make the rollers larger in diameter to make a bigger pattern?

14 hours ago, BrainTannedKiwi said:

Thats good to know, Ive got a roller machine on the way so I can get a grip on the dyeing techniques then maybe in the future get some plates, could you not make the rollers larger in diameter to make a bigger pattern?

Roller diameters do differ some, but there are limitations on how big machines will take.  

-Bill