jwwright

Lewis Tree Co, Hereford TX

Does anyone have experience building on trees from Lewis Tree Co, Hereford TX? If so, I would appreciate your thoughts on them. Thanks.

I relined skirts on one and rerigged the front on one. It was a calf roping saddle - heavy thick bars. I think they are all glassed, not sure if they rawhide any or not. If you build on one, you have to deal with the issues of building on a glassed tree with a glassed in seat strainer. Anecdotally, some of the calf ropers really like them. I have also had a few Texas guys tell me they like Faith trees, but I have never found a contact for them.

Family of the great saddle making legend Wilford Lewis. Definately know their business. No longer covers trees with rawhide due to not being able to keep a good rawhide man employed so just went to fiberglass covered only. One could always add a rawhide cover themselves if it were a big concern.

Family of the great saddle making legend Wilford Lewis. Definately know their business. No longer covers trees with rawhide due to not being able to keep a good rawhide man employed so just went to fiberglass covered only. One could always add a rawhide cover themselves if it were a big concern.

would it not be kind of hard to rawhide one with the strainer already a part of the tree? Greg

would it not be kind of hard to rawhide one with the strainer already a part of the tree? Greg

I'm with Greg, It would not be practical. However I guess it's like anything else.....if there's a will there's a way.

Regards,

Ben

I have built on approx 20 Lewis Trees since I posted that question originally. Ray and Steve are good people, and make a nice tree. The drawbacks to these trees, for me, are that you have to work with and around the strainer that is glassed into the tree. It is more work for me to get the seat shape that I desire this way, as opposed to putting in my own metal strainer/groundseat, or all leather groundseat. The resin they use is very hard, and that presents some issues as well.

I am primarily using handmade trees by Jon Watsabaugh currently, although I would not hesitate to use a Lewis tree if the situation called for it.

JW

JW,

Your experience with the strainer is one that is shared by a couple of saddlemakers that I have talked to. One of them used the trees back to Wilford and won't change out for nothing...

Regards,

Ben

I'm wondering if you couldn't order your tree from them without the strainer. ........

Brent...........I talked to Ray about that quite some time back. He told me that he used to do that, but he won't do it anymore. For him, it is a strength factor. Ray says that he believes quite a bit of the added strength he gets is from the integrity of the glassed in strainer.

JW

Oh yes, I forgot about the built in strainer. Thats too bad. I actually purchased the last rawhide covered association tree they had made up some years back. Thats when he told me there would be no more made with a rawhide cover unless I was willing to hire on as the new rawhider. Needless to say I declined.

hmmm...... now that you mention it, seems I do recall hearing that argument. Sounds like a process thing to me. "It's just the way we do it"....

It sure would save me a lot of time and hassle, though. I just don't like building on glass.

Brent.........Jon W. has a pretty nifty glass system, using an epoxy resin. It is not hard like other resins you have seen. This epoxy has flexibility and life to it, glues stick well with little or no rough up, and driving a nail is about like with a rawhide cover. Jon will cover his trees with rawhide or the epoxy / glass. I'll see if I can post a photo of one his trees right here..........JW

watsa_lowres.jpg

post-5250-1237735329_thumb.jpg

Very sweet looking tree! No seams to worry about. Excellent work. I may have to take another look at them. Do they have a booth at the Wichita Falls show?

Howdy Brent..........Jon Watsabaugh is a member of this forum, so he might chime in here. I can also send you his contact information if you like. JW

Howdy Brent..........Jon Watsabaugh is a member of this forum, so he might chime in here. I can also send you his contact information if you like. JW

I'd be interested in that information also if you'd care to post it.Thanks in advance Ken