redwoodmf

wet molding

Hello, im just wondering can you wet mold "crazy horse leather"?

I want to make a knife leather seath with it, just dont know is it possible.

Is it veg tanned and how thick is it?

Veg tan is usually always mouldable, and if not too thick

I had to look up Crazy Horse Leather, according to their site (Yukon Bags) it is cowhide that is treated with some sort of wax to make it water repellant. That might make it difficult to wet mold if it repels water!

5 hours ago, dikman said:

I had to look up Crazy Horse Leather, according to their site (Yukon Bags) it is cowhide that is treated with some sort of wax to make it water repellant. That might make it difficult to wet mold if it repels water!

But at the same time . . . if it is wax . . . water may not make it do anything . . . but heat will . . . I'd be very careful . . . but with a heat gun and some serious care . . . I'd bet you can mold it.  That would be double if you had a top and bottom mold you could squeeze it into . . . after taking it out of a pan of reasonably hot water.

May God bless,

Dwight

I recently experimented a little bit with molding Crazy Horse leather because my brother wants a pancake holster made of a piece I have.  I found that soaking it in hot tap water for a few  minutes worked ok.  NOt splendid results, but serviceable.  Takes longer to dry and the finish appears to fade.  I applied NFO and the finish was fairly well restored.  Another  little experiment was to dry it in the oven at 180F . It came out real hard, but still felt waxy.

Definitely not as easily moldable as plain veg, but if you don't expect exactly the same results as regular veg, it can be done.  Experiment with your technique before building a project.