Gosut

Mallet/Maul Weights

What is a good mallet/maul weight for stitching chisels and hole punches? I have a nylon mallet that weight between 10 and12 ounces / 284  and 340 grams and don't seem to have a great deal of difficulty using it to drive stitching chisels through 8 ounce leather, but hole punching could be better. Yes, I intend to sharpen the hole punches, but in the back of my mind are a couple of projects with heavier leather weight. This has me wondering if I should move up to a heavier mallet. I'm considering a 24 ounce / 680 gram poly mallet, then got the notion of a split head mallet because it could have a heavier weight plus replaceable nylon faces. One I'm looking at is 2 pound (32 ounces / 907 grams). That's the same weight as a framing hammers we used, though we did most of our work with 1 pound hammers (16 ounces / 454 grams). The weight of mallet I have now is roughly the same as the finishing hammers we used.

Comments? Opinions? Again, this is for stitching chisels and hole punches, not tooling or setting snaps or rivets.

Thanks in advance.

I got a 10 & 12 oz poly maul for tooling. & a 16oz & 24oz poly maul for my big hole punches, strap cutters & stuff like that. 

I use a 10 oz poly mallet for small holes and a 28 oz one for large holes. Your intended 32 oz one sounds good. I don't use stitching chisels so can't advise on that.