Aven

Hand Cranked Patcher

We are all familiar with the $100 Chinese Patcher.  Its pros and cons have been the topic of several threads.  But there is another patcher available on Amazon, well actually two that look to be a major step up from the $100 tinkers delights.  There is YEQIN 2973 Cylinder Long Arm Patcher and a short arm version.

The body looks like its cast iron, but its not specified in the description.  It features Features: -18" long cylinder arm,  large bobbin,   360 degree rotating presser foot for sewing in any direction,  1/4" sewing capacity, can be manually operated manually with the handwheel but there is also setup so that it can motorized.  The handwheel can be moved to the front of the machine.  It uses needle sizes 16 to 22, needle system 135x17.  It can sew cotton, nylon and polyester, thread sizes 46 to 138.

The prices range for the long arm from $650 to $1200 depending on the vendor.  The short arm goes from $399 to $700. 

Has anyone picked up one of these?  It looks like it might be a viable option for a small shop or someone getting started.

I'd like to see a bunch of pictures of it

May God bless,

Dwight

Isn't it a copy of a singer 29-71 or 73 or something like that. 

I think I looked at them, cause I thought about going that route. Is it similar to this?

phpayWoBvAM.jpg

Edited by DieselTech

51 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

As per the advert it is a 2972B which is a cloneof the Singer 29K72.

2 hours ago, Aven said:

But there is another patcher available on Amazon, well actually two that look to be a major step up from the $100 tinkers delights. 

Yes they are a major step up from the "Tinkers Delight". Up here in Canada they range from $740 CAD ($547USD) to $1600 CAD ($1189 USD) with free delivery. They appear to be the same machines supplied by different vendors. I almost bought one but came across a decent Singer 29K72 with a treadle stand for $400 CAD ($300 USD). I don't know how the quality is in comparison to the more costly 29K clones dealer machines but there is a substantial price difference, $2500 CAD plus shipping versus $740 CAD with free shipping. That is about a $2000 difference when you factor in the cost of shipping. That money could be put into other equipment / supplies. Definitely something to consider.

kgg 

1 hour ago, Dwight said:

I'd like to see a bunch of pictures of it

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight, here's a link to Amazon.

1 hour ago, DieselTech said:

I think I looked at them, cause I thought about going that route. Is it similar to this?

Yes.  That's one of them.

27 minutes ago, kgg said:

As per the advert it is a 2972B which is a cloneof the Singer 29K72.

Yes they are a major step up from the "Tinkers Delight". Up here in Canada they range from $740 CAD ($547USD) to $1600 CAD ($1189 USD) with free delivery. They appear to be the same machines supplied by different vendors. I almost bought one but came across a decent Singer 29K72 with a treadle stand for $400 CAD ($300 USD). I don't know how the quality is in comparison to the more costly 29K clones dealer machines but there is a substantial price difference, $2500 CAD plus shipping versus $740 CAD with free shipping. That is about a $2000 difference when you factor in the cost of shipping. That money could be put into other equipment / supplies. Definitely something to consider.

kgg 

I agree kgg.  That is enough of a difference in price to really consider getting one.  I mostly make shoes so the patcher does what I need.  I've torn up my shoulder, dominate hand of course and I think I am about as healed up as I am going to get and while it still bothers me, I'm not at the point of being willing to let a VA surgeon get in there up to his elbows and mucking around.  I hand stitched my last pair a couple of weeks ago.  The sewing was okay, but the punching was an ordeal.  Now I'm looking at ways to work smarter without a lot of investment. 

Since it is at a relatively attractive price point I had hopes that someone had one in their shop and could give their thoughts.