Johanna

Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without!

Well while we were on the topic of clothes used in leather craft, I dont know if it has been mentioned but I use the old levis (any denim really) pants that have finally bit the big one. Personally I use them to burnish edges with. They work really well generally when your doing it by hand, kind of like the guys that use canvas.

Another thing I have done is wrapped them around the little rubber adaptors on your dremel tool (the ones that hold the sand paper rounds) and drop a dap of glue on the end after Ive wrapped it several times, put a stitch on each side (gotta make them slightly larger) and dont forget to wind them in the proper direction. This works for me for doing the power slicking on the edges. Atleast until I get moved into the house with a garage and stuff.

heres one i've had fun with over th years.every time i cut a copper rivet or pull an old one i pitch it in a coffee can eventually it'll fill up,i fill'd at least 3 large cans or more[not too sure]we'd get some money back for scrap copper i got proficent at pitching at th can pete

I have had a hard time finding sheepskin scraps. Some have offered to sell me a bag load but felt that the cost would be a bit much(shipping/size) to make it worthwhile.

I went to the produce section of the local store and found boxes and boxes out back from the citrus deliveries.

At the bottom of each was a 12x24 or so piece of really soft(open cell?) foam. I took it all and now use it for antique, staining, RTC, etc. It's the same stuff that I used to buy for .50 apiece just because it had a little wooden handle on it!

I also use spent 22,38,380,44 and 45 cal shells for flower centers. They cut well, I bevel the perfect circle that they make, and create my own center/seeds.

I use old prescriptin bottles to keep stitching needles all in one place.

I used the bottom of an old lazy susan to attach my tool rounder to and wala! it spins.

I have some substantial size lead weights to hold down my tracing paper. But I've had them so long I can't remember where I got them. I've also used them to punch leather over as the lead is soft and doesn't mess up my punches. Most of them have somehow disapeared over the years so if anyone knows how I might have came by them, let me know as I love them.

www.midwayusa.com sells lead ingots for reloaders that cast their own bullets,could be just what you need.

thanks robert, you're johnny on the spot!

I only buy used tools...I get them from Bob Douglas! (doesn't seem like I'm saving a lot money, though,..go figure!) :dunno:

I take my scrap sheepskin after lining the skirts of a saddle, clip the wool off and then cut into pieces to use to spread glue, oil, dye whatever I need them for. I also use the clipped wool to stuff bucking rolls.

I used to clip cattle for a living so I have the clippers to do this. I have tried with scissors and what a pain. It is a way to use up the scraps instead of tossing them.

Joe