bvdv

Renzo piano ribs

Hello all

Antoine have aan idea how to make those ribs in this bag. They are so elegant .

Thx in advance

Screenshot_2024-03-03-08-47-50-31_8b1cfbb769bd52fc36fa25a4fcc64305.jpg

To me it looks like a bunch of leather strips sewn together.

14 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

To me it looks like a bunch of leather strips sewn together.

I'm sure, but how.  you can't just take straight pieces.  if you look closely you will see that the ribs stop at the top and at the bottom.  there they transition into a flat panel.  you also see that the edges are not arranged but turned over.

Screenshot_2024-03-03-09-43-19-72_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2024-03-03-09-48-45-51_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Edited by bvdv

@bvdv Striking elegant bag! I can see why you like it.

I have made a sketch that sort of explain how I think those ribs are made. Mind you that I haven't tried it, so it is just a guess. Also I'd probably experiment a bit before cutting up and entire hide.

To me it looks as the bag is made with a double layer of skin.  So the ribbed part is made by first making a bunch of ribs with the sides folded over. Those ribs are then sewn onto the flat backing piece of skin which is visible between the folds of your lower picture. (It might take a bit of practice to make it look so sharp)

When the sides are made I reckon that I'd do the ends next finally I would install a liner, if you look closely you can see how the top stitching passes over the rib stitching, that could also hold the liner in place.

Good luck and please let us see if you make a bag :-)

20240303_162413.pdf

@Mulesaw, I try it and post my experiments here.i had the same thoughts/idea, but this is some nice craftsmanship doh. I think they used 3 layers

IMG_20240303_173553.jpg

Edited by bvdv

10 minutes ago, bvdv said:

@Mulesaw, I try it and post my experiments here.i had the same thoughts/idea, but this is some nice craftsmanship doh. I think they used 3 layers

IMG_20240303_173553.jpg

That looks like a very logical way of doing it.

That would also give the chance to make the inner liner out of some thin leather/skin, I would love to make some experiments with that right now, but I am sea, so it'll be 3 weeks before I get home to my shop :-)

The most difficult thing will probably be to make the folds fairly consistent. But either double sided tape or contact cement should help in that respect (and a bit of practice).