Sign in to follow this  
SingerDad

Singer 31-19 timing the feed dog to kicking foot

Is it possible to time the kicking foot to the feed dog stroke?  Any help would be appreciated.  The kicking foot is a little delayed causing a little shorter stitch. 45625A18-F490-46D4-8850-ACF699EFD982.thumb.jpeg.c63f57556890fff63746a6a2bdf9f4c9.jpeg

Are you sure the feed timing is correct?You want the feed dog all the way back & starting to go down as the needle enters the material.

44 minutes ago, CowboyBob said:

Are you sure the feed timing is correct?You want the feed dog all the way back & starting to go down as the needle enters the material.

Yes. I adjusted that yesterday.  I think I will need a larger surface area feed dog to make contact with the kick foot.  The main problem is the lack of feet available.  Current feet are around 50$.  Way too much for this fun project.   I will try a different feed dog and plate combo first.  Btw. I did look at the manual and all adjustments are correct.   

59 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

maybe raising the feed dog could help.

Thanks for help.  Sadly, did that already as well. 

1 hour ago, SingerDad said:

Yes. I adjusted that yesterday.  I think I will need a larger surface area feed dog to make contact with the kick foot.  The main problem is the lack of feet available.  Current feet are around 50$.  Way too much for this fun project.   I will try a different feed dog and plate combo first.  Btw. I did look at the manual and all adjustments are correct.   

If your sure that's correct you can rotate the cam on the top shaft(there's 2 screws,one might be in a slot on the shaft),the one in the back where the rod comes out.IDK which way you'll need to turn it but try one way & if it gets better you got lucky if not go the other way.

1 hour ago, CowboyBob said:

If your sure that's correct you can rotate the cam on the top shaft(there's 2 screws,one might be in a slot on the shaft),the one in the back where the rod comes out.IDK which way you'll need to turn it but try one way & if it gets better you got lucky if not go the other way.

Thank you sir. I did try that as well.  It was in the manual.  I will try again and hopefully get lucky.   The more I look at my foot it’s just not placing enough surface area on the feed dog.  I’m sure that is not pulling the fabric back as far as it should.  Will try to post a video, just need to look up how.   Thanks 

2 hours ago, SingerDad said:

Will try to post a video, just need to look up how.

Post it on YouTube and place the link to it here.  The size of most videos is too large for the restrictions here.

4 hours ago, Northmount said:

Post it on YouTube and place the link to it here.  The size of most videos is too large for the restrictions here

Update:  after timing all again per manual, I realized that the kick foot needs to be slightly lower than the small inside pressor foot.   This allows it to push against the feed dogs.  This is not stated in the manual and I forgot from the last time I had it working.   All is good,  thanks all for your quick replies.