JulesPDX

Restoring my Pfaff 145

Ok - here it is fully restored with a new motor. On to thread next! Suggestions for leather?

Edited by JulesPDX

nice job.   You get the rust off the balance wheel.

I think I got most of the rust off! I am trying to sew for the first time and threading my needle. I'm having a REALLY hard time moving the hand wheel while it is connected to the servo motor. Is that normal? Should I be disconnecting it when I need to hand crank it? I have a CONSEW servo motor if that helps.

The Consew servo motors have a brake.  One option is to remove the cork pads, the other is to apply just a little bit of force on the treadle to get the motor almost turning which will release the brake, you can then turn the hand wheel very easily.  

ok, I found an amazing video that covers the installation. I see the pads are already in there - I see what you mean now and I'll try that. I hope this video helps someone! I'm close but oh boy is my thread bunched up. I'll start a new thread on timing...

One thing to check is if your safety clutch has been tripped.  If the thread is bunched up, there's a good chance it tripped and will appear as if the timing is way off.

If the safety clutch is disengaged it won't sew and leave loops on the bottom.

6 hours ago, JulesPDX said:

oh, the thread is bunched up!! I really don't know how to sort that out :(

I'm guessing you mean in the bobbin area. I've done it a time or two. You should be able to get it out with tweezers, screwdrivers scissors and assorted pointy things. I'm thinking it's under the hook? I've never had to pull the hook to clear one, but even that's not too hard. A couple of screws underneath, if I remember right.  You'll get it.  I've had the hook out of mine a couple of times. It's a good exercise just to give you a better understanding of how the machine works.

Edited by AlZilla

If I remember correctly, the Pfaff 145 is not so easy to take apart.  I'm pretty sure you will need to reset the timing on it due the screws you have to remove.  It does make it a great time to clean and lubricaate everything under there.  If the thread is all balled up underneath the hook, it's a good chance that the safety was tripped - it will then show up as a really out of time machine.