TomHu

Cobra 29-18 Not Working Properly

When I turn the hand wheel with the presser foot up the needle goes up and down with no issue.

When I lower the presser foot or put something in the way for it to sew (presser foot up or down, it stops working.

I then have to use the side wheel that holds the motor belt to complete each stitch.

9313- Vibrating Presser Lifting Lever
9205 Litfting Lever Shaft Lever
9206 and 9207

In the head of the machine.
When the presser foot is down the 9313 is unable to move the 9205 to complete a stitch.

If I force it with the 9107 then it will do it, but not with the hand wheel alone. It seems like the force to complete the stitch in the head of the machine has been eliminated and I do not know why or how to fix it. 

If you need a better idea of my numbering system please see the manual with diagram link (https://www.springfieldleather.com/cobra-manuals/29-18 Manual.pdf)

Any advice, tips, or tricks are appreciated. 

No offense but better post pictures of your machine or a Video instead of having people to download a parts and walk trough lists to figure what parts you mean.

3 hours ago, TomHu said:

It’s not allowing me to upload any videos or photos. 

Resize your pics or video. 

Videos are too large generally to post here with the file size restrictions.  Post on YouTube and share a link to it here.

If your files are too large to post here due to file size restrictions, you need to resize your files to fit.  Follow this link for some helps and suggestions.  https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/15122-how-to-post-pictures-on-lw/?do=findComment&comment=551171 There are lots of Apps, software, and online tools available on the web, or even built into your device to enable you to reduce your file sizes.  800 pixels in the longest dimension is quite adequate.  Smart phone screens and many monitors don't display high res files in high resolution.  People that live on the fringes of the internet appreciate smaller file sizes and high res photos may take from 10 minutes to hours to download.

On 3/13/2024 at 6:57 PM, TomHu said:

When I turn the hand wheel with the presser foot up the needle goes up and down with no issue.

When I lower the presser foot or put something in the way for it to sew (presser foot up or down, it stops working.

I then have to use the side wheel that holds the motor belt to complete each stitch.

9313- Vibrating Presser Lifting Lever
9205 Litfting Lever Shaft Lever
9206 and 9207

In the head of the machine.
When the presser foot is down the 9313 is unable to move the 9205 to complete a stitch.

If I force it with the 9107 then it will do it, but not with the hand wheel alone. It seems like the force to complete the stitch in the head of the machine has been eliminated and I do not know why or how to fix it. 

If you need a better idea of my numbering system please see the manual with diagram link (https://www.springfieldleather.com/cobra-manuals/29-18 Manual.pdf)

Any advice, tips, or tricks are appreciated. 

Have you tried tightening the belt, and maybe checking to see if oil dripped on it? If you’ve oiled the machine it’s gotten on the belt. Mine does anyway. 

2 hours ago, Garyak said:

Have you tried tightening the belt, and maybe checking to see if oil dripped on it? If you’ve oiled the machine it’s gotten on the belt. Mine does anyway. 

The issue is not with the belt side. It’s with the head of the machine.

There is some force that’s been eliminated that’s keeping it from finishing a stitch.

One thing I notice in the video is that your stitch length adjuster is set to the shortest stitch length as it seems. Lower it (longer stitch) and try again. See above linked manual page 10.

There also is an adjuster for sewing different material thicknesses. It should have the marks H, M, and L (High, Medium, Low) or just H + L. Looks like it is set to the highest foot lift (not sure though). Change the setting to medium or low foot lift and try again. Manual page 12.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Constabulary

So this issue started when I was I. The middle of a project, so the stitch length was set at a normal length. At this point. I’ve been tinkering with everything to figure out the problem.

as far as the thickness setting, I’ve tried all three settings and still no resolve. Thanks for the advice.

40 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

One thing I notice in the video is that your stitch length adjuster is set to the shortest stitch length as it seems. Lower it (longer stitch) and try again. See above linked manual page 10.

There also is an adjuster for sewing different material thicknesses. It should have the marks H, M, and L (High, Medium, Low) or just H + L. Looks like it is set to the highest foot lift (not sure though). Change the setting to medium or low foot lift and try again. Manual page 12.

Hope this helps.

Please see this link to the issue 

@Garyak @Constabulary @DieselTech @Northmount

last thing I could imagine is that the adjuster for the thread take up lever it too far in and is causing a bind. See page 11 in the manual. But I only can guess - hard to tell what is going on when not in front of your machine.

when he said the hand wheel is "off the grove" I would assume the knob (plunger thumb nut) on the hand wheel is not engaged.

On 3/16/2024 at 2:33 AM, Constabulary said:

when he said the hand wheel is "off the grove" I would assume the knob (plunger thumb nut) on the hand wheel is not engaged.

Correct. For an update, I was able to get it back in line and we’re back up and running. Thanks for all of the advice.