Shadders

Hellos from a Noob in the UK

Hello Everyone!

I actually joined this site in 2022. I'd gained an interest in the many aspects of leather craft and wanted to try it. Unfortunately, the medication I was taking at the time had a bit of a sedative effect, leading me to abandon my attempts.

Fast forward to today, and I’ve been off the tablets for over three months and my interest has been rekindled.

This forum has been an invaluable source of knowledge, as has YouTube. I also purchased my first Elk Track Studio video this week, but I’ve only watched a little. Looks good though.

So far, I’ve done a little tooling, the importance of the correct water content in the veg tan and a keen blade being by some very wobbly cuts at first. Also, I've played around with dyeing and applying an antique and learning why a resist is a good thing!

I’ve also made the crudest sheath ever to house my round knife. That taught me the importance of a good stitching awl and that I need to practice stitching more.

Learning how to sharpen the tools was a challenge and I still

struggle to mantain a constiant angle when using an oil stone or rouge. But, I see improvement in my results, so I'm confident I'll get there in time.

I’m enjoying learning to make something from the endlessly versatile material leather is.

Best regards to you all,

Shad.

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to better health!

Welcome to the group. Bunch of great people here. Enjoy.