What do you all use for glueing a liner in? I'm making a holster, and I feel ready to try and learn how to line it.

What do you all use for glueing a liner in? I'm making a holster, and I feel ready to try and learn how to line it.

I have used contact cement and white glue with good results. (either/or not together :rolleyes: )

3M 90 is what I use for all my linings. havn't had a problem yet.

KK

3M 90 is what I use for all my linings. havn't had a problem yet.

KK

I'd like to look into 3m 90. barring that, I'd use nothing other than leathercrafters white glue.

ed

You can get 3M 90 at lowes. It's about $13. I like it because its a web spray (not a mist) no overspray. It's basically contact cement in a spray can. You spray both pieces, let it set for a couple of minutes and BAM! Just make sure you get the positioning right the first time cuz once its set, its set.

KK

When gluing in a liner there are some things to consider:

1. What types of bends are there going to be:

For inside bends where there will be more lining material than space you would want to consider a glue that will provide a stronger bond;

For outside bends where the lining material will be stretched the tension will hold it in place so a lighter glue may be sufficient.

2. Is the liner free standing or is it attached to the main material with either stitching or lacing.

If it is free standing then a very strong glue will be required to keep it in place over the life of the product

If it is laced or stitched to the main material, then we go back to #1 above.

3. Thickness of liner and potential for glue to permeate through the liner and discolor the liner surface. Thin materials may require a glue that is less liquid and quick to setup.

I have been using rubber cement for 3 decades without any problems but most of my products will have the liner laced as well as glued. The only product I did where it was free standing was the front of a brief case and it held up better than the brief case. The two things I have learned about rubber cement is to: 1. glue both side and let them throughly dry; 2. use a good roller (rolling pin, laminate roller, etc.) to make sure maximum contact between the two pieces after they have been joined.

You can get 3M 90 at lowes. It's about $13. I like it because its a web spray (not a mist) no overspray. It's basically contact cement in a spray can. You spray both pieces, let it set for a couple of minutes and BAM! Just make sure you get the positioning right the first time cuz once its set, its set.

KK

Emeral the Leatherworker... :banana:

Brent

Barge

Buff

They sell Barge at Ace! In big cans or just the small tubes?

ArtS