DieselTech

Cobra class 4 foot pedal: Thread Release

Guys & gals I recently got a cobra class 4 & my foot pedal thread release is not working. 

When you step on the foot pedal release, it actually forces the disc's together instead of separating them. Making it almost impossible to pull your project out of the machine without breaking your thread. 

My question is: What is the best way to fix this? 

Bend the release arm in, to contact the center of the thread tension disc's?

Or pull the thread tension dics mounting stud out & add a washer to the back side of the stud to space it out? 

Thanks. Any & all help will be appreciated.

phpVmmU1pAM.jpg

phpbIkVlbAM.jpg

Edited by DieselTech

10 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

When you step on the foot pedal release, it actually forces the disc's together instead of separating them.

I would try handwheeling so the thread arm is at the top of it's cycle. Looking at your photo I am thinking that some of your problem maybe the thread is not seated properly between the top tension discs. I would suggest looking at this video on threading a Cobra 4 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tCzNuj4bvQ

Notice the difference in your thread in the top tension discs, yours is the first photo.

kgg

cobra 2.JPG

cobra.JPG

Call Cobra on Monday.

Edited by Goldshot Ron

46 minutes ago, kgg said:

I would try handwheeling so the thread arm is at the top of it's cycle. Looking at your photo I am thinking that some of your problem maybe the thread is not seated properly between the top tension discs. I would suggest looking at this video on threading a Cobra 4 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tCzNuj4bvQ

Notice the difference in your thread in the top tension discs, yours is the first photo.

kgg

cobra 2.JPG

cobra.JPG

Its routed right. It is just the time, the photo was taken it looks messed up/wrong. Thanks. I will double check it.

But no my thread release arm is not going in between the 2 thread tensioning disc's to release the thread when the foot pedal is pressed down. 

Thanks. 

47 minutes ago, Goldshot Ron said:

Call Cobra on Monday.

Yeah I know they will take care of the problem. I was curious what the solution to the problem would be addressed/fixed. 

The way I have mine threaded is it goes thru the eyelet-around the disc 3/4 of the way, straight down to the lower disc. It doesn’t go all the way around the first and back thru the elect again.

That first one I think is a pre-tension disc, I don’t think the thread is supposed to go all the way around and back try the eyelet again.

That pointy tip should insert between the tension discs when engaged.  You can remove the beige cover plate (2 screws) to reassemble the tension release lever.  I would first try just repositioning the lever and reassembling.  If it is still misaligned then I would consider that either the tip is bent or the tension disc assembly is missing a spacer that holds it out away from the beige cover plate, more aligned with the lever tip.

The first 2 pictures are with the tension release engaged.  The third picture is the lever disengaged and the tension discs closed together.

DSC_1630.thumb.jpg.e52e375342168ad339e28efb2aa883ee.jpg

DSC_1631.thumb.jpg.7955cf69059f80abdaad6173bac3bbca.jpg

DSC_1632.thumb.jpg.d283832f69a072389dbeec9c812870db.jpg

Edited by TomE

43 minutes ago, bladegrinder said:

The way I have mine threaded is it goes thru the eyelet-around the disc 3/4 of the way, straight down to the lower disc. It doesn’t go all the way around the first and back thru the elect again.

43 minutes ago, bladegrinder said:

Ok I may be wrong. Soo everybody dont scold me. I'm a small guy, soo I dont got a lot of butt to chew on. 

On the top tension disc I go thru the eye, then I snap the thread in between the 2 disc's, then it wraps around a 1/2 to 3/4 of way around & goes right back thru the thread guide eye.

From that thread eye, the thread runs down to the 2nd set of tensioning disc's.

I appreciate the help. Thanks. 

2 minutes ago, TomE said:

That pointy tip should insert between the tension discs when engaged.  You can remove the beige cover plate (4 screws) to reassemble the tension release lever.  I would first try just repositioning the lever and reassembling.  If it is still misaligned then I would consider that either the tip is bent or the tension disc assembly is missing a spacer that holds it out away from the beige cover plate, more aligned with the lever tip.

The first 2 pictures are with the tension release engaged.  The third picture is the lever disengaged and the tension discs closed together.

DSC_1630.thumb.jpg.e52e375342168ad339e28efb2aa883ee.jpg

DSC_1631.thumb.jpg.7955cf69059f80abdaad6173bac3bbca.jpg

DSC_1632.thumb.jpg.d283832f69a072389dbeec9c812870db.jpg

Yeah see @TomE sees what I am talking about. That the thread release lever fits between the disc to open/ seperate them so it will release your thread to pull your project out of the machine. 

Thanks TomE for the better picture explaining & showing what I'm talking about. 

Probably an easy fix. I have assembled the release incorrectly before, when I had the cover plate off to adjust the walking foot mechanism. 

Well guys & gals I fixed my issue. I just bent the black release lever a bit & it is working as it should now. 

Lmao now Monday, I'll call leather machine & see what their fix is. Then I'll report back. 

Here is a pic of it fixed & releasing the thread tension between the tension disc's.

Thanks everyone!

phpyeEjeGPM.jpg