Warren

Roller Cutter

I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago at the TLF store here in town. It's listed in this month sales flier for $9.99. Regular price is $19.99 which makes this one sweet deal. When my mom was teaching me to use a sewing machine a couple of years ago was the first time I had ever seen one. I ask her where she got it and she said the fabric store. So I went to see how much they were because it made cutting patterns out so much easier. Well the fabric store wanted about $40.00 for one and I had to pass. When I saw these on sale I took moms to compare. Guess what they are the same brand as hers. I sure don't mind saving $30.00. I was skeptical about it cutting reallt heavy stuff, but it sailed right through some saddle skirting I had in the shop. I also found it was much easier to use to cut curves with as long as they aren't to tight. Best of all the blades are replacable. If you haven't tried one of these then you really should. I think you will be as pleased as I am.

Roller_Cutter.jpg

post-5168-1203113599_thumb.jpg

personally, I prefer the large fiskers one. they're about 15 bucks I think at wal-mart with a slightly padded rubber grip and can use 2 different size blades, but if it works, it works! plus ya got this one cheaper. does this one have adjustable depth like the fiskers does?

There are alot of crossover tools available and it does pay to shop around. I think it will work real nice on the thinner leather but as with any tool there is a limit. Enjoy

Check sewing/fabric stores and craft stores, they both carry circular cutters. I got the 60mm diameter size at a fabric store. Works great on 8oz leather.

John

jordan I think the thickest I've cut with mine is around 12oz. I don't use anything heavier than 8/9 too often, but I do use a loooot of the 8/9/

Good to know, I may pick one up and give it a try, Razorknives exactos and scissors get to be a pain, sometimes literally if I slip.

We have a super walmart here and they carry the yellow handle in hardware and a blue handle in fabric. I have both roller cutters but I still grab the old utility knife. But the fabric dept. is suppost to close at this walmart. Hope this helps

larry

they're downsizing the fabric departments at all of 'em. it's there, just much smaller. sometimes they put the rolling cutters in the office or craft sections.

Warren,

I routinely cut up to 16 oz with my 45 mm. I use a 48" rule as a straightedge. The blades go quite a while too. Where I think they really shine is cutting soft leather like chap or deer. There is no distortion from stretch like with other knives. I also use the scalloped and wave blades sometimes to cut overlays. They will track a pattern edge well for that too. I used to have a 60 mm, but cut myself a few times on it. Lost it and don't miss the bleeding.

Your right Bruce. They are ok for the thin leather. I see a few knives that can be sharpened ... My question is, would it be smarter to have a knife that you can sharpen or does it pay to buy the blades? Seems like the blades get dull and have to be replaced often.. gets a little pricey.

Larry,

I buy them in the 5 blade pack. Shop around and you can find them cheaper at places like Michaels or department stores. They are more costly buying them singly. I never sharpen them. Use them until they don't cut clean and toss them. Mine go a long time. I usually chip one before they dull up. On a tight crner I have snapped off a section sometimes. I think cutting surface plays a part here. I cut on partical board for no other reason than I get it free. I probably go through a blade a month, and use mine a lot. I am not sure how safe I would be resharpening a round blade. I would forsee the bleeding gash in my palm. That makes the disposable description of the blade even cheaper. I don't like cutting on the self healing mats they sell for them. More drag and seems to dull faster.

Guys, these were the only ones I had ever seen accept at the fabric store. Duh, I guess I'm just to dumb to think to look anywhere else. As for cutting thick leather, I had no problem cutting the 1/4" skirting that I got from Go2Tex. I was expecting it to work on the thinner leathers, but not the thick stuff. I was very impressed. I try not to shop at Wally World, but I will have to look around at other places and see what I can come up with. I'm not throwing away any of my other knives either. I believe you can't have too many tools.

Warren

Thanks.. I live near a Michaels so I'll check out the prices there.

Larry,

I buy them in the 5 blade pack. Shop around and you can find them cheaper at places like Michaels or department stores. They are more costly buying them singly. I never sharpen them. Use them until they don't cut clean and toss them. Mine go a long time. I usually chip one before they dull up. On a tight crner I have snapped off a section sometimes. I think cutting surface plays a part here. I cut on partical board for no other reason than I get it free. I probably go through a blade a month, and use mine a lot. I am not sure how safe I would be resharpening a round blade. I would forsee the bleeding gash in my palm. That makes the disposable description of the blade even cheaper. I don't like cutting on the self healing mats they sell for them. More drag and seems to dull faster.

While surfing I came accross this sharpener from Olfa....

http://www.rotarycuttershop.co.uk/acatalog...ning_Tools.html

While surfing I came accross this sharpener from Olfa....

http://www.rotarycuttershop.co.uk/acatalog...ning_Tools.html

I have that. It works but could have been designed better. If you could find one for about six bucks pick one up. More than that I'd say no. I'll try to play around a bit more with mine to give it a fair shake, but I do know that nothing compares to the first four hours of cutting with a new blade.

Hands down, if you can find these blades cheap somewhere, you're better off than buying this sharpener even for six bucks.

ed

larry

they're downsizing the fabric departments at all of 'em. it's there, just much smaller. sometimes they put the rolling cutters in the office or craft sections.

Thanks, I'll have to still check out the dept then. That way I can get my blades for them. :)

speaking of rotary cutters. I have an electric rotary cutter that I use for chaps. It only takes me about Five minutes or less to fringe a pair of chaps. I alos use it to cut the chaps out of the side. I couldn't live without it now

http://jaeberly.com/id38.html

I have an electric cutter similar to the RES4" one depicted in the attachment. Mine has an in built sharperner not unlike the generators we had for our bike lights as kids, flip the generator over and a wheel ran up against our bike tires to generate the headlight. Flip the sharpener over and a little sharpener wheel runs up against the cutting blade. Mine will go through skirting weight leather like hot butter.

I have also used ones similar to the first cutter on the link altho the ones I used were battery operated. I'd endorse either of these types of cutters particularly for those of us Aging with arthritis in the hands/elbows setting in.

Barra

I bought mine for like $50 on e-bay. Looks just like that one and it comes with an extra blade

I never thought about an electric cutter. Im going to have to find one of those units that will cut my production time in half at least. No pun intended.

I bought mine for like $50 on e-bay. Looks just like that one and it comes with an extra blade

These look very intriguing. Question for those who use them, are you going with circular blades or the hexagonal ones ?

The hexagonal blade is what I use, it seems to cut better and lssts longer. IMO

I too use the hexagonal cutter.

Barra

Wow, a long thread for rotary cutters!

I bought a couple of the Fiskars units at wallyworld when I was learning to quilt I loved them for fabric. I tried them on leather and loved them all over again. They have a little thumb lever to unsafe the blade (locks out, release button to re-safe).

Then I discovered my FIL's Olfa deluxe cutter. It's got a squeeze handle to un-safe the blade. When you go to put it down it automatically safes the blade again. With the Fiskars, I had to push a button, but with the Olfa deluxe unit it's automatic. Very handy and the same 45mm blades as the Olfa (though the Olfa brand blades are side etched in 10mm increments.

The blades last a loooong time until you either miss the cutting mat and hit the table or otherwise nick them. The sharpener looks like a great idea, though as long as they last may not be needed. I'll probably snag one if I walk past it in a store, just so I have it. I'm funny that way...

Highly recommend having one on hand. Nothing better for cutting softer & thinner leathers, though apparently they are good for just about anything.

Brent