GreginRI

How to display stamped leather artwork

I recently bought a piece of leather stamped artwork and I'm wondering how best to display it.  It is 15"x30".  I'm thinking of some  kind of backlighting, maybe with LED tape lights. Maybe the lights in a light box? How about just cemented or integrated with some bright white fabric or paper behind it?

I'm wondering if anyone has done this kind of display work.  The leather sheet is fairly stiff so it will take a special approach to get the artwork flat. Like stretching on a rack maybe? I can't seem to get the URL of a photo to display here.

Thank you.

Edited by Northmount
Changed title to be meaningful

pictures would help

2 hours ago, GreginRI said:

I recently bought a piece of leather stamped artwork and I'm wondering how best to display it.  It is 15"x30".  I'm thinking of some  kind of backlighting, maybe with LED tape lights. Maybe the lights in a light box? How about just cemented or integrated with some bright white fabric or paper behind it?

I'm wondering if anyone has done this kind of display work.  The leather sheet is fairly stiff so it will take a special approach to get the artwork flat. Like stretching on a rack maybe? I can't seem to get the URL of a photo to display here.

Thank you.

You need to resize your pics to a smaller file size. @Northmount be able to help you out with this. 

12 hours ago, GreginRI said:

I can't seem to get the URL of a photo to display here.

Message me the URL you are trying to display.

If it is a file size problem - here are some suggestions:

If your files are too large to post here due to file size restrictions, you need to resize your files to fit.  Follow this link for some helps and suggestions.  https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/15122-how-to-post-pictures-on-lw/?do=findComment&comment=551171 There are lots of Apps, software, and online tools available on the web, or even built into your device to enable you to reduce your file sizes.  800 pixels in the longest dimension is quite adequate.  Smart phone screens and many monitors don't display high res files in high resolution.  People that live on the fringes of the internet appreciate smaller file sizes and high res photos may take from 10 minutes to hours to download.

12 hours ago, GreginRI said:

Mount it on a piece of mat  board used for framing pictures.  Pick a complementary colour.  Mat board is available at various hobby type stores such a Micheals.

Then you can frame it in what ever frame, maybe even with non-reflective glass.  By backlight, do you mean to mount the frame/box some distance off the wall and place a light behind it?  If the article is dark coloured, the contrast between the bright wall and the article will hide the detail of the tooling.

You can see how some articles are mounted in this video.  And a tour of Jim Linnell's studio on Facebook

On 4/6/2024 at 10:57 PM, DieselTech said:

The leather sheet is fairly stiff so it will take a special approach to get the artwork flat. Like stretching on a rack maybe?

You can try moistening the back a little, don't soak it, lay out on paper towel to absorb the moisture, place smooth plastic on top, piece of plywood on top of that, pile a bunch of books or other weights on top and leave it for a couple days.  Any pattern in the material you place on top of the leather will transfer to the leather, so has to be smooth.  If you are in an area with high humidity and warm that promotes mold growth, need to inspect after a few hours, air it out, and replace the weights and repeat.

have it matted and framed by a pro in a shadow box type frame so the glass doesn't touch the leather, Don't hang it where the sun will ruin it.