I'm playing around/experimenting with a technique I found in a book.  These are thin veg tan (1mm) that I wetted and wrinkled, and then dyed (Fiebing's Pro Dye, dark brown), intentionally uneven.  This will become the outside of a wallet.  The book didn't mention sealer, unfortunately, so I'm trying to figure out what to use to prevent dye rub off.  I initially tried Fiebing's Leather Balm with Atom Wax on a sample, but I noticed what appears to be wax settled into the tiny creases.  It looks a bit like when you wax a car, but can't get the wax out of a trim part, whiteish residue.  Also, overall blueish tint.

Any suggestions for what would seal the dye without this whiteish residue issue?  I prefer a matte finish that doesn't look like finish.  Would an oil of some sort prevent dye rub off?  I don't think waterproofing is an issue since it's a wallet, and won't be subject to weather.

IMG_0541.jpeg

Look into tandys. Satin Sheen. It should seal it, or at least I think it will. The Satin Sheen sealer will leave a matte/satin look. 

Forgot to add: Also you can probably remove that white residue with a good horsehair brush. 

9 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

Look into tandys. Satin Sheen. It should seal it, or at least I think it will. The Satin Sheen sealer will leave a matte/satin look. 

Forgot to add: Also you can probably remove that white residue with a good horsehair brush. 

I'm assuming you mean Leather Sheen, as Satin Sheen is horse grooming spray.  I've watched a demonstration of leather sheen and it's not the look I'm after. As for the white residue, to clarify, it doesn't really seem like physical residue, more like a coloration.  I buffed the snot out of it and it still just looked kind of white-washed.  I have resolene, leather balm, neatsfoot oil, tan kote, bag kote, mink oil, and carnauba creme.  Of the ones mentioned above, resolene and tan kote are the looks I'm trying to avoid, tan kote being the worst.   Bag Kote seems to dry completely matte, and doesn't look like a finish is applied, but I did not apply it to my test sample according to directions (when I did follow directions, it left streaks).  Instead, I used a dampened makeup sponge and rubbed it in in circular motions.  So, at this point I'm leaning toward Bag Kote, but I was wondering if just an oil would work to prevent dye rub off because that's the look I would prefer.

44 minutes ago, Colinml said:

I'm assuming you mean Leather Sheen, as Satin Sheen is horse grooming spray.  I've watched a demonstration of leather sheen and it's not the look I'm after. As for the white residue, to clarify, it doesn't really seem like physical residue, more like a coloration.  I buffed the snot out of it and it still just looked kind of white-washed.  I have resolene, leather balm, neatsfoot oil, tan kote, bag kote, mink oil, and carnauba creme.  Of the ones mentioned above, resolene and tan kote are the looks I'm trying to avoid, tan kote being the worst.   Bag Kote seems to dry completely matte, and doesn't look like a finish is applied, but I did not apply it to my test sample according to directions (when I did follow directions, it left streaks).  Instead, I used a dampened makeup sponge and rubbed it in in circular motions.  So, at this point I'm leaning toward Bag Kote, but I was wondering if just an oil would work to prevent dye rub off because that's the look I would prefer.

Sorry I misspelled Satin Shene. This stuff.

phpSgPvHhPM.jpg

17 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

Sorry I misspelled Satin Shene. This stuff.

Ah, ok.  I'll look into that.  In the meantime, my testing progressed a bit, and I discovered that, if I apply a little bit of neatsfoot oil to the cloth I'm using to buff off dye residue, it works much better to remove.  AND, when I applied some Leather Balm with Atom Wax, there was no whiteish haze that I couldn't get out.  The Balm is still a bit shiny for my taste, though.  I did also do a sample of the neatsfoot buffed dye, and applied Bag Kote, and that is the look I'm going with for this project...almost flat.  This combo results in almost zero rub off (really had to work at it to get a tiny bit on cloth).  Chances are, I will not be doing much dyeing in the future, opting to just buy leathers pre-colored with through aniline, but, if I find myself dyeing again, I'll look for Satin Shene.  Appreciate the input.

46 minutes ago, Colinml said:

Ah, ok.  I'll look into that.  In the meantime, my testing progressed a bit, and I discovered that, if I apply a little bit of neatsfoot oil to the cloth I'm using to buff off dye residue, it works much better to remove.  AND, when I applied some Leather Balm with Atom Wax, there was no whiteish haze that I couldn't get out.  The Balm is still a bit shiny for my taste, though.  I did also do a sample of the neatsfoot buffed dye, and applied Bag Kote, and that is the look I'm going with for this project...almost flat.  This combo results in almost zero rub off (really had to work at it to get a tiny bit on cloth).  Chances are, I will not be doing much dyeing in the future, opting to just buy leathers pre-colored with through aniline, but, if I find myself dyeing again, I'll look for Satin Shene.  Appreciate the input.

Look into Conceria Walpier Buttero leather, its dyed thru & you can get about any color under the sun. 

Another nice leather is Conceria Walpier Dollaro leather. It's a pebble finished leather dyed thru & is offered in many colors as well. 

1 hour ago, DieselTech said:

Look into Conceria Walpier Buttero leather, its dyed thru & you can get about any color under the sun. 

Another nice leather is Conceria Walpier Dollaro leather. It's a pebble finished leather dyed thru & is offered in many colors as well. 

Ha!  I was ordering some buttero almost exactly the time you were typing this.  Agree that it’s good stuff.

23 hours ago, Colinml said:

I'm playing around/experimenting with a technique I found in a book.

Moved your post to Dyes, Antiques, Stains, Glues, Waxes, Finishes and Conditioners.