hi everybody, my name is Sandrine and i live close to Montreal in Canada : )

Yesterday i bought my first industrial sewing machine : a PFAFF 145 6B H3SN

I sew a lot with domestic sewing machines

And i was stuck with some leather projects so i decided to jump

I thought the PFAFF 145 was for leather triple foot walking but then after some researches i saw that mine was for medium fabric 

I was scared i didn t buy the good one

Today i will check the manual, clean up the beauty, she needs it ;-) Oil it and then i will use

I tried to the guy yesterday and looked amazing

Oh my god so fast !

Can you maybe help me with this beauty ? do you have some advices ? And whish kind of needles should i take?

Thank you in advance for your help 

IMG_3304.jpeg

They're excellent machines.  My parents bought one at an auction 30 years ago for $125 and it was a real tank. They still use it for occasional projects.  Easy to use, well made, precise. Only downside was the standard bobbin, but that's really  a minor thing in this era.   Make sure you have the smallest pulley on your motor.   Also, I don't know the speed rating of your motor, 3450 vs 1725.   They're all roughly interchangeable on the table.

Needles should be 135x17 if I remember right.  Yes of course it's good for leather and anything you can fit under the foot.  Use 135x16 needles on leather.  Size depends on thread you want to use, you can look online and find some data.   138 is the max thread.  

Edited by Cumberland Highpower

thabk 

1 hour ago, Cumberland Highpower said:

They're excellent machines.  My parents bought one at an auction 30 years ago for $125 and it was a real tank. They still use it for occasional projects.  Easy to use, well made, precise. Only downside was the standard bobbin, but that's really  a minor thing in this era.   Make sure you have the smallest pulley on your motor.   Also, I don't know the speed rating of your motor, 3450 vs 1725.   They're all roughly interchangeable on the table.

Needles should be 135x17 if I remember right.  Yes of course it's good for leather and anything you can fit under the foot.  Use 135x16 needles on leather.  Size depends on thread you want to use, you can look online and find some data.   138 is the max thread.  

thank you so much

how can i know the pulley i have ? ;-))

Yes i have 135x17 needle size 20

And i just ordered 135x16 size 19 and 22 for leather ; i didnt find big choice for 135x16

For now i need to clean up because oh my god very dirty, and then i m really excited to use it

I already love it , vintage style so beautiful 

I feel that this machine has done a lot of beautiful projects :)

Not to disagree with your findings but a Pfaff 145 H3 would normally use a 134-35 needle system.  Now, they can be adjusted to run the more common 135x16 or 135x17, just make sure that you're running the correct needle.  The Pfaff's are a great machine, I had a 145 and was able to find a 545 which I have now.  I installed an analog servo motor with a 45mm pulley, I can run a stitch at a time for great control.  

2 hours ago, Northmount said:

@Pink1977 moved your post to leather sewing machines since this is turning into a sewing machine discussion.

oh sorry thank you

33 minutes ago, fibersport said:

Not to disagree with your findings but a Pfaff 145 H3 would normally use a 134-35 needle system.  Now, they can be adjusted to run the more common 135x16 or 135x17, just make sure that you're running the correct needle.  The Pfaff's are a great machine, I had a 145 and was able to find a 545 which I have now.  I installed an analog servo motor with a 45mm pulley, I can run a stitch at a time for great control.  

ohhhh ok

I found an amazing video on your tube that speaks about the needles and they say we can use 135x17 for fabric and 135x16 for leather 

Can you tell me what designs x35 ?

This evening the seller comes at my house to install a servo motor because for my projects this beauty runs too fast !! haha

So it s important a pully of 45mm ?

Yesterday it was the BIG cleaning up side down !! haha 

IMG_3332.jpeg

While you can use both needle systems, you might run into some problems if the machine is not adjusted correctly.  It sounds like yours was set for the 135x16 or 135x17 so as long as it all works, go ahead with using them.  

The 45mm pulley on the motor will give you the slowest starting speed to make it easier to control the machine.  A larger pulley on the motor will produce a faster starting speed on the machine.  To slow it down any more will require a speed reducer but that's getting a little complicated for now, enjoy the machine with the servo motor with the smaller pulley if the previous owner installs one.

12 hours ago, fibersport said:

While you can use both needle systems, you might run into some problems if the machine is not adjusted correctly.  It sounds like yours was set for the 135x16 or 135x17 so as long as it all works, go ahead with using them.  

The 45mm pulley on the motor will give you the slowest starting speed to make it easier to control the machine.  A larger pulley on the motor will produce a faster starting speed on the machine.  To slow it down any more will require a speed reducer but that's getting a little complicated for now, enjoy the machine with the servo motor with the smaller pulley if the previous owner installs one.

i just installed a servo motor yesterday because the previous motor it ran too fast !

I have some small projects to do so i need to be able to work slow

I didn t use the 135x16 yet but he gave me 135x17 and it looks ok :)

IMG_3349.jpeg

IMG_3350.jpeg